2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Single, Simple Change You'd Like to See on Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 11:13 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cardude
I am not sure if you want to make it more off road worthy the PHEV is the way to go. Less useful weight, less cargo space and a bit awkward cargo bottom, and the charge goes fast after which you end up with the smaller petrol which may or may not be an issue depending from your use case. Plus, I guess it also needs more chips adding to current complications. I think you would be better off getting the D300
You are probably correct, but here are some thoughts. I've got a 5 mile commute, so the battery is more than enough for me to go full electric day to day. When off road, I'd like to think that Land Rover would design it in such a way that the battery would be well-protected (but who knows). And, if you don't drive full electric to your off-road destination (meaning, you drive it like a hybrid or as gas-only), the electric motor off road gives you instant full torque, which I feel would ameliorate or even fully offset the weight issue. My biggest fear with the PHEV would be that it would be impossible to use 18" wheels, even with the Lucky8 kit.

While I'd almost definitely prefer the diesel off road, for my day-to-day, the PHEV would be perfect for 90% or more of the driving I do. As much as I love owning an offroad vehicle, the last trip I took to Colorado saw me riding my mountain bike the whole time and not driving on any offroad trails at all. Nonetheless, I'd still like to have a vehicle that gives me the option.

Last edited by ryanjl; 06-20-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by racerpeter
My $0.02:
  • Make the second row headrests possible to remove without using a credit card. I mean... the button that you can get to with your fingers doesn't seem to do anything anyway. Why make people push the button they can see and the one they can't?
This is fixed on my 2023 110.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:37 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMia
My comments are for the D90.

Fully lay flat seats- without pulling the seat bottom off- and raising the subfloor to avoid the dumb cross bar. I know it has no storage but a couple of tweaks would make it a lot easier. You should be able to drop one or two of the seats down at the push of a button but this is a PITA.

Also, a little more speed in the motor to move the seat up to get to the back seat. It reminds me of the austin powers scene with the golf cart it is so slow..
Definitely would have been nice if they included a way to remove the seat bottom so the seats lay flat. Easily my biggest complaint. The D90 has all the storage I need for my family but it would be easier to store if I could get those seats flat. Haven't wanted to try just pulling them out as I don't want to damage them though I know people do this.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (06-25-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

I will add my 2 cents: A way to open the tail door from the inside, i.e. a handle, I know one could use the Smart Key, but I am thinking of a situation such as sleeping and the need to get out through the back feet first and without having to fumble around for the key fob.

GrouseK9 (06-20-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

As a V8 owner, the sound should be way louder and the drive more aggressive specially on Dynamic mode. Big disappointed here.
Here’s other changes I would like to see.

* Black exhaust and possibly better looking one. The existing chrome one is truly embarrassing for a vehicle of this price.
* Dynamic mode that doesn’t have to be reselected every time your turn the car on/off.
* Ability to drive at faster speed on lower height mode.
* Some two tone leather options for the interior would also be great.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

What height mode are you wanting to drive at? Access height?

Old 07-02-2022, 09:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
What height mode are you wanting to drive at? Access height?
Yes, access height

Old 07-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by EMV007
Yes, access height
New Defender Mods sells an electronic device that allows you to lower/lift your suspension at will at any speed.

@umbertob has a post about it and the install.

LLAMS I think is the acronym for the product.

Edit: Here is the post link

Last edited by GavinC; 07-02-2022 at 01:00 PM.
EMV007 (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

You know access height is for, you know, accessing the car, not for driving about, right? The car would no doubt rub quite a bit if you drove around at speed and hit bumps and so on. It is a 5500 pound SUV, not a hot hatch.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
You know access height is for, you know, accessing the car, not for driving about, right? The car would no doubt rub quite a bit if you drove around at speed and hit bumps and so on. It is a 5500 pound SUV, not a hot hatch.
All the customers of Vulkan and Urban seem to love all that sort of hot-hatch malarkey. Spoilers and shiny plastic everywhere. I think there's even a lift rod to lower the Defender for those who like that sort of thing.

Horses for courses I guess. Don't get it myself, but castrating an off-road beast into a chav-wagon seems to be a popular endeavor. Driving around lowered is a logical next step.

Quick Reply: What is the Single, Simple Change You'd Like to See on Defender?