Sponsored by:

Windshield crack from heat (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default No evidence ...

Originally Posted by Muppetry
If there is no evidence of impact damage then I would be arguing that it should be replaced under warranty as a manufacturing defect.
You are absolutely right - however, JLR dealership already told me not to expect that ( hmmm - I wonder why !?) . Basically if you don't have THEIR glass protection plan, you are S.O.L.
It is what it is ... can't do much about it, and proving is their defect may have to be in court. Sucks majorly.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Holly cow !!!
That looks impressive.
What hit you ?
You can see the remnants of the branch that fell out of a tree when hurricane Ida swept through western NC, where I was at our mountain house. Branch fell straight down (positioned vertically) so all its weight was right on the glass. Sounded like the motor exploded. I was getting something out of the back at the time. Just thankful it wasn't the roof!

Old 09-20-2021, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Wait - so you were at the car when it happened ?
You're lucky you did not get hit.

Just as a side note here. It appears that SafeLite can do and warranty everything that needs to get recalibrated. I wonder if I should go with them, as they have OEM glass in stock and ready probably this week, vs. dealership in a month and 3 (three) days to change it....

Old 09-20-2021, 03:18 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Wait - so you were at the car when it happened ?
You're lucky you did not get hit.

Just as a side note here. It appears that Safelite can do and warranty everything that needs to get recalibrated. I wonder if I should go with them, as they have OEM glass in stock and ready probably this week, vs. dealership in a month and 3 (three) days to change it....
I've been silent on this specific topic since a lot of people have been saying "go to the dealer" -- my $0.02 is that going to Safelite is relatively low risk. Even if they don't happen to use OEM glass, they do recalibrate as part of the service. In my experience, the only thing that might somehow get into a warranty issue related to the windshield glass itself would be something not calibrating or working correctly with the driver assistance systems. In the off-chance that the dealer ever says they won't cover something under warranty related to non OEM glass... my insurance policy has a zero deductible on glass, and I'd just ask for OEM glass to remove that variable. In the meantime, I want to just get this fixed with the least amount of annoyance and time... especially because I expect to have to replace multiple windshields, unfortunately. Also, my dealer just said to go to SafeLite anyway and to come to them for the calibration (no thanks) -- lots of dealers in my area sub out work to Safelite behind the scenes.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
I've been silent on this specific topic since a lot of people have been saying "go to the dealer" -- my $0.02 is that going to Safelite is relatively low risk. Even if they don't happen to use OEM glass, they do recalibrate as part of the service. In my experience, the only thing that might somehow get into a warranty issue related to the windshield glass itself would be something not calibrating or working correctly with the driver assistance systems. In the off-chance that the dealer ever says they won't cover something under warranty related to non OEM glass... my insurance policy has a zero deductible on glass, and I'd just ask for OEM glass to remove that variable. In the meantime, I want to just get this fixed with the least amount of annoyance and time... especially because I expect to have to replace multiple windshields, unfortunately. Also, my dealer just said to go to SafeLite anyway and to come to them for the calibration (no thanks) -- lots of dealers in my area sub out work to Safelite behind the scenes.
I'd look for a local glass shop that can do it. If Safelite can get the glass so can they, and the work will be better. I've also found prices to be nearly the same.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Add mine to the list

My P300 2020 D110 showed up this morning with a 7 inch crack in front of the driver beginning at the bottom edge and running up vertically. Six hours later it has grown upward another 3/4 inch and is turning towards the passenger side.

no impacts, no rock, no chips.

dealer says bring it in, so they may take pictures and begin the process of making a claim.

Something is definitely awry here.

Enjoy !!

Old 09-20-2021, 04:48 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
My P300 2020 D110 showed up this morning with a 7 inch crack in front of the driver beginning at the bottom edge and running up vertically. Six hours later it has grown upward another 3/4 inch and is turning towards the passenger side.

dealer says bring it in, so they may take pictures and begin the process of making a claim.

Enjoy !!
On the facebook owners group there are lots of posts saying the windshields break for no reason and are defective.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You can see the remnants of the branch that fell out of a tree when hurricane Ida swept through western NC, where I was at our mountain house. Branch fell straight down (positioned vertically) so all its weight was right on the glass. Sounded like the motor exploded. I was getting something out of the back at the time. Just thankful it wasn't the roof!
Where in Western NC is your mountain house? My parents summer home is outside of Cashiers. We visited this summer and I saw on average 3 defenders a day. I drive around alot while working and I rarely see any. I did see one today and ironically was not in my defender.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

In the last hour, auto not moving at all, the crack has progressed horizontally a full inch. Whoa …

Old 09-20-2021, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner

Enjoy !!
I am going to try to get as much info on this windshield of mine. My deductible is kinda high, and I am not happy at all.
As much as I hate this, I am putting this in with NHTSA and probably try to get some lawyers interested.
This is a safety issue after all, and NHTSA should at least look into it. However, I still have an open case with them since 2017 ( on a Toyota Sequoia where the entire system failed while in motion on I85 ) and I am still waiting patiently to hear from them .... (crickets).
However I am doing this more for documentation, and awareness.
Probably if more people would have this logged with NHTSA may make a difference.... may not ... who knows?

I will go the SafeLite way after all, same deductible for me though, but at least they come home to do it.

Yes, my windshield started at the bottom right - passenger and is now in front of the driver.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack from heat (?)