Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield crack from heat (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Where in Western NC is your mountain house? My parents summer home is outside of Cashiers.
Outside of Cashiers.

Between there and Highlands, in Whiteside Cove.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-21-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Mechano2020

I will go the SafeLite way after all, same deductible for me though, but at least they come home to do it.

Have you actually tried this with SafeLite (or any local glass shop?) Would love it if you've found a source for Defender windshields.

Safelite has no phone scheduling, nor any operators to answer any questions -- only automated attendant that will only check on appointments you've already booked. The only way to book is online. Online booking has a list of manufacturers you have to choose from first thing -- Land Rover and Range Rover aren't even among the choices. I'm currently waiting to Chat with a rep just to make sure they don't have it, but it's been 15 minutes and I've moved up from No. 11 in line to No. 8. The three local shops I called with high ratings all immediately say I'll have to source that glass from the dealer. The dealer quoted me 9/27, and yesterday moved it to 9/29. The glass has not currently shipped from England, and he says it's essentially impossible they will hit the 9/29 target. I'm writing this on 9/23.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:15 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I had my windshield replaced successfully by Safelite. True, they are fronted by an online scheduling tool -- it was seamless to process my insurance claim through that digitally and also to select the right replacement (e.g., the tool asked whether the vehicle had heated glass, solar attenuation, driver assistance features). There was some miscommunication on the scheduling -- this should be done in the shop vs. mobile. I learned this after my first appointment no showed until I called. You can get through to the local shop by calling a number you get when you schedule it online -- do this step or your appointment is likely going to be a no show (despite getting confirmations).

I received a Fuyao vs OEM. It took the shop about 10 days to get one. As @PaulLR noted elsewhere, the heating elements are more visible than OEM. I've also noticed that there is a bit less contrast between the solar attenuated areas and the cutouts for EZPass. The windshield calibrated and no issues with any of the electronics working as they should. Given that my POS OEM windshield broke so quickly, I actually did not care if I received OEM or not. Something tells me that this is not my last windshield replacement... and a quick, convenient fix was the most important thing for me.

Take all of this with a grain of salt since I live dangerously -- I regularly take my cars through automatic car washes.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 07:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

If Safelite reused the A-pillar trim clips, make sure your A-pillar trim pieces are secure. If they feel at all loose, get new clips before the trim makes noise or simply falls off. The small glass shop near me keeps a supply of new LR pillar trim clips on hand and always uses new clips with each new windshield. I think I went through 7 LR4 windshields in 8 years. The Defender windshield is certainly smaller but has a similar upright angle where incoming objects don't just slide off.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, I inspected those closely when picking it up. They seem totally secure. The car next to mine being worked on was G-Wagon -- I think this particular shop knows to bring the more exotic vehicles into their shop vs. messing with them in the field. I saw maybe a half dozen trucks load up for mobile jobs while I was there. Every car in the shop was an expensive one.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Yes, I inspected those closely when picking it up. They seem totally secure. The car next to mine being worked on was G-Wagon -- I think this particular shop knows to bring the more exotic vehicles into their shop vs. messing with them in the field. I saw maybe a half dozen trucks load up for mobile jobs while I was there. Every car in the shop was an expensive one.
Exactly...I always brought my LR4 into their shop. I presume they do better work there vs. a mobile unit with limited parts/tools or sometimes just one guy.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Here is my quick update on the windshield.
I tried to go through SafeLite, and they are out of OEMs for the next 2-3 months. So I was told.
Dealer had it in stock (insert shocked picture) , and for me, ultimately is the same price. The deductible.
How long will it last ? God only knows ... but, monday I should have it back fixed.
I fell like I need to build a screen in front of it that will protect the windshield - crazy.... something like MadMax movies ( protection from Sun all the way to Zombie level ).
Oh well... not much of a choice.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Here is my quick update on the windshield.
I tried to go through SafeLite, and they are out of OEMs for the next 2-3 months. So I was told.
Must be why the online scheduling tool doesn’t even list Land Rover or Range Rover in their list of choices when you’re trying to schedule. Very unlike a company, though, to remove choices that don’t actually exist, rather than letting you go through the whole form-filling-out stage for five minutes before telling you they don’t have what you want.

EDIT: Just figured out the mystery. Mines a 2022 — Safelite doesn’t give you a LR/RR option if you choose 2022 (the first thing you have to choose), but I put in 2021 and there was the Land Rover choice. Made an appt for a week from today. They say they have windshields in my region (Atlanta) but fingers crossed I don’t get a call back reversing course later. I just cancelled my already-paid-for OEM order, so I’d probably have to go to the back of the line if Safelite doesn’t actually have it.

Good news (for Chubb Insurance): the windshield is $765 vs. $1250-ish from the dealer. With installation and recalibration the total is $1236 from Safelite. Don’t know how much labor was going to be from the dealer.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-24-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:27 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I leave my Defender in the hot Southern California sun 24/7 (have 2020 spectral blue Chromaflair SVO Autobiography l405 full-size and a rare stryker green 2014 viper in the garage) and I added the shatterx liquid nano application and no issues at all. 10k miles 100 + 100 degree days, plus heavy 4 wheeling no issues.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
I leave my Defender in the hot Southern California sun 24/7
I guess it must be that beautiful California air that shields it ...
No idea why mine did that ... I guess I am the unlucky one.... It is not normal, but it happened.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack from heat (?)