Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield crack from heat (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I have been driving for 40+ years and neither I nor none of mine have ever replaced a windshield. So I suppose I am due .......
30 for me and same with the exception of one on my wife's car that got shot. I still think this whole situation smells funny.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
30 for me and same with the exception of one on my wife's car that got shot. I still think this whole situation smells funny.
I must be unlucky. I replaced at least two windshields in a Ford Ranger (for sure two in the same one, and maybe one in another, and at least one windshield with small chips repaired), and two in the same Ford Escape. So, at least 4 windshields, and I'm 43. No exceptional mileage, all damage happened on-road.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Never replaced one yet, 42 cars owned over 40 years. And to be fair, mine Defender is only bad because a freaking giant tree branch fell on it.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Must be why the online scheduling tool doesn’t even list Land Rover or Range Rover in their list of choices when you’re trying to schedule. Very unlike a company, though, to remove choices that don’t actually exist, rather than letting you go through the whole form-filling-out stage for five minutes before telling you they don’t have what you want.

EDIT: Just figured out the mystery. Mines a 2022 — Safelite doesn’t give you a LR/RR option if you choose 2022 (the first thing you have to choose), but I put in 2021 and there was the Land Rover choice. Made an appt for a week from today. They say they have windshields in my region (Atlanta) but fingers crossed I don’t get a call back reversing course later. I just cancelled my already-paid-for OEM order, so I’d probably have to go to the back of the line if Safelite doesn’t actually have it.

Good news (for Chubb Insurance): the windshield is $765 vs. $1250-ish from the dealer. With installation and recalibration the total is $1236 from Safelite. Don’t know how much labor was going to be from the dealer.
Sonuvabitch! Got the call this morning. After I canceled my order with the dealer on Friday, since I didn’t want them to ship it in which case I was told I’d be on the hook for it.

The call from the local shop went like this. “I’m sorry but we’ve just learned that LR windshields are back ordered. I need your VIN so I can order from the dealer.”

Me: “You’re ordering from Hennessy? The place I just cancelled my order at because your website told me congratulations, you have my windshield in stock?”

“Yessir, I’m sorry. But I’ve had another Defender windshield on order since June.”

[Lots of riot-act-reading by me, careful to acknowledge that it wasn’t her fault, per se, but that it’s a deceptive business practice that obviously just tells everybody their windshield is in stock so they’ll make an appt with Safeco, etc.] Order cancelled.

Called my parts guy back, hat in hand, to be told he hadn’t even cancelled the order for the windshield since they needed them in stock. (He had, of course, refunded my purchase.) So he put me back at the top of the list and whenever it comes in, I’ll be getting it done at the dealer.

Of course, they don’t even do the work — they have a windshield guy come in and do it for them. Probably the Safeco guy.

The following users liked this post:
4x4 DAVE (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Sonuvabitch!
🤡 world.

4x4 DAVE (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Summer in Upstate NY, Winter in South Florida, Spring and Fall in Kentucky
Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had to replace two windshields on my Wrangler and one on my Edge... all cracked from stones being thrown up from vehicles in front on me on interstate highways.

D-Fens (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

My next windshield ...

And while I am at it, a cool bumper too !

There, fixed it !

The following 4 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
4x4 DAVE (09-28-2021), GavinC (09-28-2021), GrouseK9 (09-28-2021), _Allegedly (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Yup, I was ready to set up for a trip today, waiting with the engine idling in my driveway, and I heard a cracking noise. Sure enough, it was my windshield.
The Defender was outside for about 2 hrs, in the sun. Outside temp - 95 deg.
I am not sure who manufactures the windshields for JLR, but since 2018 I had about 5 that cracked either from a pebble size rock, in the sun, or just plain tension in the glass.
Not sure if there is ANY other manufacturer in the world with such horrible windshields.
I had the same problem. Mine is being replaced on Thursday.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I went to the JLR service department on my cracked windshield and the Service Manager was waiting for me -- to deal with what felt like a common occurence.

Firstly, he mentioned that the vertical crack is similar to the one which occurred a couple of years ago (was purportedly resolved in 2018 with a design change) when supposedly the metal, vertical clamps on either side of the window were too close to the window, would heat the window, and the window would expand and bow outward and create a vertical crack. But, this does not apply to the New Defender.

Then, the service manager took the vehicle to the service area, washed the window and came back with this photo, which I confirmed is on my vehicle -- which I could not find previously:

The scale is VERY small ... basically it is an inch or so from the bottom of the glass, through the circular route to the purported "chip" ... from which runs a chip straight vertically to the middle of the windshield, which then takes a hard 90 degree turn horizontally -- where it is expanding a bit every day until it reaches the end of the window on the passenger side of the vehicle.

It was almost impossible to figure out how to even take the picture the "chip" is so miniscule and shallow. The size of projectile to cause it literally may have been the size of a grain of sand.

So, this little "chip" is expected to destroy an entire windshield? REALLY? If so, I am just going to drive the vehicle until the windshield drops out of the car -- and then replace it. This is nuts.

Thoughts please?
Just because the damage is tiny doesn't mean that the object that caused it was tiny - in general it is going to have been much larger to induce the necessary stress.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Enough already!! You all are making me want to throw up. Every time I see one of those pics I want to get sick. Do we have the ability to NSFW pics??

I've been driving about as long as @NoGaBiker but I've never counted how many cars I've owned. Likely not as many, but probably a lot. Those aren't the things I remember, but I'm thinking ~4-5 windows replaced. The worst is years ago I got my son a new car (a new to him, used car). He was a new driver and didn't want to drive the highway home with his new car, so I did. Drove right onto the highway and immediately a rock shattered his window. 15 minutes in and his day was ruined. My dad down streamed his Vega to me. A car with just one crack in the window and no bondo would have been GORGEOUS to me.

So stop, no more broken window pics! Only pics of newly arrived Defenders, Trophy editions with not a spec of dirt, or Trek editions at delivery in Asheville. If you keep posting pictures of broken windows I'll have to start sharing EMT/ER pictures and war stories. I have 30 years worth of "exciting" things to share. My favorite is the world's largest foot blister or maybe the motorcyclist without the helmet or maybe a burn victim or.... You've been warned!! /s

Last edited by GrouseK9; 09-28-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack from heat (?)