2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless charging issues with iPhone 12

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 06:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

How do you find this sweet spot, Chuck? What tells you that you’ve hit it? Sorry for all the questions — I don’t own any other wireless charging device, so I assumed you just slap the phone down on that tray and it goes to town.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:24 AM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
How do you find this sweet spot, Chuck? What tells you that you’ve hit it? Sorry for all the questions — I don’t own any other wireless charging device, so I assumed you just slap the phone down on that tray and it goes to town.
At times when I place the phone on the pad, I don’t get the lightning bolt in the upper right corner to indicate it is in charge mode, so I slowly slide it left to right until it illuminates. I have an Otterbox case which is kind of thick and I have to do this on my home charging pad also. The articles I read yesterday make note of the extra resistance induced by the case. However, some previous posters needed an actual pad replacement so this may be the case for some of the other charging issues mentioned here.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,406 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Some reasons for the phone getting hot may have to do with the fact that wireless charging is inherently inefficient, the difference between the technologies employed, such as charging a MagSafe device on a Qi format charger and vice versa, and the use of a case and the material it is made of and the thickness of the case. All my research indicates that the heating is normal and does not affect the life of the device or battery.

Heat is "normal" with wireless charging especially while it is connected via Bluetooth and it's being used to stream music, nav, or other data.

The problem with using the word normal is that it makes it sound acceptable. It's not. Heat damages batteries. Apple says 95 degrees is the limit.

Heat also causes glitchy behavior in the phone.

​​​​​​Remove the case, use a cable to stream and charge simultaneously, etc.

Also,

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-21-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts

Yes, heat is an enemy to electrical/electronic systems but inherent in the way they operate. As long as it doesn’t become extreme, for which there are system overrides to protect it. I haven’t changed any of the ways I utilize and charge my devices and get years between replacing them. But yes, if it gets too hot to the touch, that indicates a problem.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Link on Amazon Link on Amazon

I glued an IQ magnet onto the rubber mat directly over the charge symbol. Now my phone clamps into the correct position every time. You have to make sure you glue the magnet the correct way up otherwise it repels the phone.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a '20 Defender 110 and never could use the charging pad w/ my iPhone 12 Pro Max since I purchased new. I took it into the LR Dealer in December and at first they said they had to order a new charging pad. When they finally looked at it earlier this month, they confirmed all it needed was a firmware update. I had to return a week later because the firmware had to be downloaded for my specific VIN#. The firmware update solved the issue and my phone works perfectly.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2023 Discovery Sport is in the garage today with this issue. Magsafe compatibility issues. They are going to speak to Landrover as the software update was not available for my VIN. (WDCM (ref SSM75427)

At least they can replicate it which is good as its happening on all the iPhones they have tried.

Fingers crossed. I am not letting this one lye as my last DS 2019 had a bluetooth feature that never worked and LR wouldn't fix.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm that the latest Pivi Pro update 3.3 fixes the wireless charging iPhone 12/13 issue. The details of what the actual fix was are in this thread here
Pivi Pro 3.3

Basically they recalibrated the algorithms (or similar), that make the wireless charging pad acknowledge when a compatible device is put on it. With Apple, the magnet (MagSafe proprietary charging system in them) "threw off" this logic, resulting in the pad "ignoring" MagSafe devices placed upon it, resulting in the charging icon showing constant X'd out icon.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My charging pad was replaced on my early 2020 Defender because the first pads wouldn't work. Once that was replaced, i was able to get the charging signal without a line through it. However, it showed charging but never charged the phone. I drove 3 hours and the battery remained at the same level. I have not been able to see if the 3.3 update actually helps charging the phone but will also ask to see if I have the latest firmware.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIXED on Disco Sport 2023!!

thank you!!

Sat Nav switch is handy as well.

[=micmcm;836715]I can confirm that the latest Pivi Pro update 3.3 fixes the wireless charging iPhone 12/13 issue. The details of what the actual fix was are in this thread here
Pivi Pro 3.3

Basically they recalibrated the algorithms (or similar), that make the wireless charging pad acknowledge when a compatible device is put on it. With Apple, the magnet (MagSafe proprietary charging system in them) "threw off" this logic, resulting in the pad "ignoring" MagSafe devices placed upon it, resulting in the charging icon showing constant X'd out icon.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Wireless charging issues with iPhone 12