Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless charging issues with iPhone 12

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 08:58 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosbest
It may be you need a hardware replacement. The early 2020 and 2021 Defenders have an older version of he wireless charging pad that doesn't charge iphone 12 and 13s. My charger was replaced since the software was not able to fix the issue and all works fine.
Do you have any of the details from your charging pad replacement? Part numbers or service bulletin? My dealer has looked at the same issue for me but doesn’t know about this potential fix.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2022, 09:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My new pad now works on my 2020 - gets the proper charging light on the dash - but it essentially doesn't charge the phone. Phone literally shows its charging but the % never really changes.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:22 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m pretty sure there’s a service bulletin about the issue. My dealership fixed my ‘20 HSE.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

I quit charging my iPhone 12 on the pad — it gets so frickin’ hot I can hardly touch it. I just plug it in if I’m traveling for a couple hours or more, of leave it in my pocket for shorter trips. But it works just fine as far as charging the phone, or it did two months ago when I last used it.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:28 PM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I quit charging my iPhone 12 on the pad — it gets so frickin’ hot I can hardly touch it. I just plug it in if I’m traveling for a couple hours or more, of leave it in my pocket for shorter trips. But it works just fine as far as charging the phone, or it did two months ago when I last used it.
Same thing happens with my RS6 - phone gets so hot it starts to malfunction. Doesn't happen with connect via cable
Matt

The following users liked this post:
POPTOPP (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:30 PM
Mudding
Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the same experience; my iPhone 13 Pro Max charges fine on the pad but gets very hot. Which it does not do on the charging pad on my bedside table. Not sure why

Old 05-20-2022, 03:13 PM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts

Some reasons for the phone getting hot may have to do with the fact that wireless charging is inherently inefficient, the difference between the technologies employed, such as charging a MagSafe device on a Qi format charger and vice versa, and the use of a case and the material it is made of and the thickness of the case. All my research indicates that the heating is normal and does not affect the life of the device or battery.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:17 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't have this problem. My Iphone 5S doesn't support wireless charging.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Some reasons for the phone getting hot may have to do with the fact that wireless charging is inherently inefficient, the difference between the technologies employed, such as charging a MagSafe device on a Qi format charger and vice versa, and the use of a case and the material it is made of and the thickness of the case. All my research indicates that the heating is normal and does not affect the life of the device or battery.
I don’t use a case on my iPhone 12, just straight phone. However, it once got so hot it went into shut down mode, and it was not in the sun at all. That’s when I decided to quit using the Defender wireless charger.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:33 PM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts
Default S

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I don’t use a case on my iPhone 12, just straight phone. However, it once got so hot it went into shut down mode, and it was not in the sun at all. That’s when I decided to quit using the Defender wireless charger.
Hmmm, can’t speak to that. I know sometimes I have to shift the iPhone back and forth to find the ‘sweet spot’ for charging, just like my home wireless chargers which are respectively Qi and a MagSafe charger. Articles I’ve read mention that the drawbacks to wireless charging are the difference between a ‘wired’ connection and wireless charging across an air gap are mainly due to the inefficiency of the wireless charge, resulting in higher temperatures. So, my thinking is if the device is not centered on the ‘sweet spot’ of the charger, efficiency goes down, temps go up. Just a theory, I’m not an electronics engineer.

Quick Reply: Wireless charging issues with iPhone 12