Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Code LED on radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code LED on radio

OK so I may or may not have the correct code now. Really been jumping through hoops to get info on codes, services, eeprom chips, code dumps anything to get the correct code. If only the service and repair manual I bought would arrive I could start trying to figure out if the radio is out putting high or low level signals to the amps then I would just through the thing away and get a nice head unit with USB and ipod control.

Any way just sitting here patiently waiting for the "Code" lamp to turn on on the face of the radio. The display switched over to "CODE IN" 'bout an hour and a half ago. Key on, battery charger hooked up and radio on ................................. waiting..................... Do I need to be waiting for the red LED to turn on?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Code LED on radio

How about let's start with the BASIC'S
What year and model?????
Have you asked the dealer to get your code??
Have you pulled your radio to get the serial number of the radio chasis to determine if the radio has been replaced?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Code LED on radio

Hello Disco Mike,
Thanks for responding. Here's where I'm at with this;
1999 4.0S with Harman/Kardon sound (pre BMW upgrade)
Clarion type: PU-9887A Rover Part# AMR 2672. Yes it has been replaced (sticker on the unit says Remanufactured).
The method to enter the code described in my owner’s manual is not correct for this unit. There is a rather low res picture of it in the RAVE chapter 9 Accessory Fitting Instructions section for the CD auto changer STC 8541 image #12 page 3/5 (PDF page 6).

Anyway here's where I'm at now. I have downloaded and used a Clarion code key calculator to no avail. I sent 20 GBP to an outfit in the UK that refunded my money, sorry they couldn't help. I sent 10 GBP to another fine and very helpful company also in the UK that provided me with the same code I had already come up with myself. He also provided to me free of charge 100 or so pages of radio and control pin outs for radios some of which I've never heard of before all in some odd looking language that Babel Fish couldn't quite get it's digital head around.
I have contacted my local (only 190 miles away) dealer who was absolutely golden and provided me not only with the code from the VIN but also less expensive OEM parts than the other slightly further away dealer. Alas that code did not work either. Even after letting the mighty but silent Rover set with the key and radio on for 4.5 hours.

So in conclusion I am done trying to get a very over priced and not all that cool cassette/CD changer head unit to work. Instead I threw caution to the wind, got hooked up with my installer buddy at Ultimate Electronics (plug) who said well .................. what the heck, lets give it a shot. And much to the chagrin of the other radio shops in town indeed an out of the box Pioneer Premier head units pre outs are a close enough match that there is only a small impedance mismatch that is barely noticeable and were pretty sure we can make that go away next week when I upgrade to the one with USB and iPod control and get the wheel controls hooked up.

I am still a little curious about that LED though.........................

Thanks for looking,
Riojo Red