LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer LED lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer LED lights flashing

I hooked up the enclosed trailer that has led tail lights to the lr3 and the lights flash with the vehicle on off lights on off constantly and the trailer light on the dash wont come on when you use your blinker. the boat trailer and my other trailers w/o led work fine on the lr the led trailer works fine hooked up to my truck
called the dealer he told me they have had that and a guy even brought the trailer in with the lr and they could not figure it out
any one have an idea

Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Trailer LED lights flashing

you need load resisters wired in, leds dont draw much current at all and itll screw with the ecus that control the lights, load resisters fool it into thinking it has normal bulbs

Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I think I experienced the same when I recently rented a U-haul trailer. When parked and lights off, the trailer brake lights would pulse. Upon further check, they pretty much did the same (but it was less noticeable) when I returned from the trip during the evening. So, how does one prevent this from happening when renting a trailer with LED lights?

I also noticed that since towing the trailer, my PDC provides no sound? Anyone experience such an issue?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You could also fab up a short harness (male to female) that has the load resistors installed there, and fit between truck and any trailer. Electrically the resistors can be anywhere "across" the circuit, at the bulbs, or at the conector. Imagine that you are hooking up a second bulb in parallel to the originals.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanx Savannah. Any thoughts on the lack of sound from the PDC since I towed the trailer?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default circuit pdf re LED adapter

The link below is to an album I did up re the trailer electrics. The last three files in the album relate to a circuit I built to eliminate the pulsing of the trailer LEDs.

The box shown in one of the jpg's is for the round USA seven blade hookup; I also did a box up for the 4 pin flat USA connector but that is not shown as all that takes is fewer wires.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - NAS Trailer Socket Pin ID and Wire Colours

Re no sound from the PDC, maybe you blew a fuse during the trailer connecting and un-connecting.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanx Byer. I think rather than go to the bother of building a convertor, I will simply purchase the unit that U-Haul has avaiable. $20-$30 and the problem will be solved.

As for the PDC, the button flashes continually everytime we restart the vehicle. No sound. Then my wife pushes the button to stop the flashing...still no sound. Since the system is operational...sorta...it would appear that the system is powered. Never-the-less, the fuse for the TPM/PDC has been pulled and confirmed viable.

Love the LR3, but what cluster...this entire towing issue...from requiring an overpriced proprietary hitch receiver, ****-poor mileage decreases (5-6mpg) when towing a lightweight aluminum U-haul trailer to the PDC system that for whatever reason will not return to being operational after having towed the first trailer. I've personally been towing trailers since I was 14 and got my first pickup...hard to believe things have gotten so complicated.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on motorcycles, a resistor is needed to change the blinker flash rate and make them work correctly... is this true on cars also? Do they really work as well as advertised? I know on my motorcycle, it's hit & miss on which LED bulbs actually work better.

Last edited by LeslieAxley; 09-11-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes, the purchase of the U-haul sold adapter solved the trailer light problem for me.

As for the PDC issue, my wife stopped by the dealer this evening and picked up a new rear PDC speaker. As soon as I had it installed, all was back to normal. The old speaker had a fine line that had broken, so there was no continuity. $28 fix...but at least it is fixed.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling

BTW, I should update those that were following this issue...I was mistaken. The Uhaul adapter that is for Mercedes and others DIDNOT solve the problem.

I've since rented more trailers and definitely determined that the problem was not solved...the vehicle never recognized the trailer and therefore, never turned off the PDC and never made any of the expected adjustments to shift patterns or power curves.

Following up on other discussions, I have since built a converter unit including resistors and relays, resulting in the vehicle recognizing the trailer and making the expected adjustments. FINALLY!

Quick Reply: Trailer LED lights flashing