Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

New head unit but barely any bass

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New head unit but barely any bass

Just installed a new head unit with a wire harness adapter. All speakers work and sound great but there is pretty much no bass, just tone. Does this mean Im not plugged into the Disco amp? Im not looking for gangsta bass, just a good quality sound. Thanx

Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Default update

Found I have no amp under the pass seat. So any ideas on how to make the sound better? I have 80x4 watts on the deck. Dont want to spend big money if possible.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by me 2
Found I have no amp under the pass seat. So any ideas on how to make the sound better? I have 80x4 watts on the deck. Dont want to spend big money if possible.
Some of this is recalling from memory, so it may not be fully accurate but at least it will give you some direction.

Depending on what years Disco you have the factory subwoofer amp was either in the passenger rear panel or in the rear swinging door. First make sure you actually have factory subwoofers. The Discovery factory subwoofers were mounted on the lower portion of the rear swinging door, there should be 2 - 6" woofers behind the mesh grill. If you have factory subwoofers in there then read below..

The wire harness you used to plug into your factory wires either does not have the correct input wires for the subwoofer or you possibly forgot to attach the "blue" wire on the harness to the blue with a white stripe wire coming off the aftermarket radio. The blue wire in the harness that plugs into your factory wire is the remote turn on lead that turns on the factory amps. Make sure that is connected to the blue with a white stripe wire coming off the aftermarket radio....start there.

If that doesn't work then there is no input to your factory sub amp, hence no bass.

Last edited by TATZOO; 06-28-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Thanks mate. I actually do have the speakers in the rear door and they are playing. That being said, does that mean the harness is correct? And if there is a amp, do I want it in line? I thought I read somewhere that when connecting a aftermarket stereo that you dont want to use the amp. Not sure.