General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZFHP24 Transmission-barely any pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:34 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZFHP24 Transmission-barely any pressure

I have a 2005 Range Rover HSE with the ZFHP24 transmission and $175,000 miles. It was running fine, had no issues whatsoever, and then all of the sudden heard whining from the pump. Pulled it over, towed it, drained the fluid, put in new fluid and filter (both from the Range Rover dealer). I topped it off as per the manufacturers recommendations (40 degrees C, with the car running) The noise immediately went away and it ran perfect again. 50 miles later, parked it, went back out to drive it and it goes into gear where you feel the nudge either to go forward or backward, but you have to give it a lot of gas to get it to go anywhere. The pump is really whining and making more and more noise.

I drained the fluid again, put new filter and fluid in and no change this time.

I either have blockage somewhere, or a pump seal that is damaged enough the pump can't create enough pressure.

If it is a pump seal, the transmission has to come out it looks like. If anyone knows of common blockage that could cause this problem, please let me know. Nothing large is in the oil pan...just small metal shavings on the magnets. I don't see that the filter could let anything by large enough for the intake of the pump to get plugged, but am interested in others opinions.

I have never had a problem upshifting, and it worked flawlessly until this.

Thank!

Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The 5 speed transmissions in the BMW engine Range Rovers are known to have issues sometimes, as they get older. Hopefully someone that knows more than I do will reply and give you some more things to check, but my guess is that you're going to need a rebuild or replacement.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Pull the lines off going to the cooler and see if there is flow???

Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 AM
4wd High

I know there is some flow because when filling, the dirty old oil was being recirculated back through the return line and it was starting to come out of the filler port. It is interesting that you ask that though. My problems started after I tied down both lines to the bottom of the front differential with a couple of cable ties waiting for a piece to come back from the Range Rover Dealer that is a plastic clamp with a screw that goes through the middle. Out of the possibility that I pinched a line, I looked yesterday and they are a little flattened out, but not enough that it looks like flow should be restricted. I am planning to remove the valve body today, and check for anything that is obvious. Again, everything shifts perfectly, so I don't think it is bad, but I am going to see if anything is lodged before getting to the pump. If I am correct, there is a spring and a couple of O rings that I need to be careful with removing. Is that right?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

What looks like a small pinch on the outside could create a good restrction on the inside of a weak hose, i would cut the wire tie

Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM
4wd High

I replaced both hoses, the cooler, flushed it out and nothing is different at all. When flushing it out, I disconnected the return hose at the transmission, and starting it and putting it in in Neutral for not even 5 seconds sucked the new transmission fluid out and so the pump is definitely pumping.

I am leaning towards a bad seal not holding. I do not want to have to take it out to repair a seal, and especially don't want to purchase a new transmission, but it looks like it may be my only choice.

Could a valve body cause this problem?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!