Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

02 Disco "Build" Diary

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

So it finally warmed up enough to paint it. Went to try and mount it today and it doesn't fit... The space between the frame rails is too narrow. I'm pretty sure the Disco hasn't been in any accidents so it seems the bumper might have been built out of spec? Should have fit checked it when it arrived... Emailed Goliath, I'll see what they say.

And a picture of the painted bumper. Used Rust-Oleum truck bed liner, it turned out looking pretty good. So hopefully I can get it on the truck!

Last edited by mtsuji90; 02-06-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:30 PM
Three Wheeling

The guy at Goliath told me some Disco 2s have thin plates on the inside of the frame rails and to grind them off. Doing some reading on here it sounds like I'm not the first one to have this issue. Kind of weird it only seems to be with the Goliath bumpers.

Borrowed an angle grinder from a buddy and after 20 minutes the bumper fit!

The bumper looks great but doesn't go super well with the worn out Michelin all weather tires... Guess this means I'll have to start shopping. I'd give the Goliath bumper 4.75/5 stars, it was priced well, built well, looks good, but they should let customers know about the fitment "issues" since it seems to be somewhat common (they were really helpful when I reached out though).

The following 5 users liked this post by mtsuji90:
04disco2va (02-12-2023), longtallsally (04-17-2023), The Deputy (04-28-2024), whowa004 (02-08-2023), YETIX (02-08-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtsuji90
The guy at Goliath told me some Disco 2s have thin plates on the inside of the frame rails and to grind them off. Doing some reading on here it sounds like I'm not the first one to have this issue. Kind of weird it only seems to be with the Goliath bumpers.

Borrowed an angle grinder from a buddy and after 20 minutes the bumper fit!

The bumper looks great but doesn't go super well with the worn out Michelin all weather tires... Guess this means I'll have to start shopping. I'd give the Goliath bumper 4.75/5 stars, it was priced well, built well, looks good, but they should let customers know about the fitment "issues" since it seems to be somewhat common (they were really helpful when I reached out though).

That looks really good. If my bumpers weren't in such good shape I would definitely do that!

The following users liked this post:
mtsuji90 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, I think the truck had been happy too long. Today I fired it up and it kind of stumbled for a minute, then threw P0305 (Cylinder 5 misfire). It started running fine so I checked roughness and misfire with the Nanocom (late Christmas present to myself...) and didn't see any red flags (granted, I'm not quite sure what constitutes "bad" for either measurement, but cylinder 5 was middle of the pack for both, and there weren't any values from any cylinder that looked out of family). I cleared the code, it ran fine for the rest of the afternoon, and then threw P1300 (seems like a super generic misfire code). The plot thickens...

Last edited by mtsuji90; 02-16-2023 at 08:47 PM.
YETIX (02-17-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:23 AM
Three Wheeling

So it's been a week and no more codes... my theory is that right before it threw the first one I took it through a carwash and the underbody sprayer maybe got the CPS a little damp? Fingers crossed, but it seems happy again.

On a different note, something I really like about this Goliath is that it covers most of the washer reservoir. I sprayed it black and if you're not looking for it you probably won't notice it's there. Now to figure out tires... it seems like 16" rims have more/cheaper choices so maybe I'll try to pick a pair up.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Well, it appears the dry rotting tires the truck came with were worse than I thought. Glad I saw this before catastrophic failure... I've been on the fence between keeping it stock height and putting on a 2" TF lift, which will affect which tires I ultimately chose... So I was hoping to get another couple months out of these before I had to make that decision. I'm leaning towards keeping it stock height since I'll need to replace these tires immediately. Luckily we have a camper van as our third vehicle so it looks like that's my new daily driver for the time being.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

What size tires are/were you thinking of going with? I'm planning on going to a 2" lift with 265/75r16 tires. My tires are sketchy and I may need to swap mine before my lift too. I believe I've read that 265/75r16 tires will fit without a lift.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm not sure... Mine came with the 18" rims so it seems like there are less choices and they all cost more. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears haha.

YETIX (02-26-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I went with some Trail Terrain t/A's in 255/65. I was debating between KO2s and trail terrains but realistically I'm not planning on wheeling this thing hard so I decided on the TTs.

I bought them at Costco and one of the highly trained professionals decided to slam my truck into a pole. The idiot must not have touched the brake because the front bumper got bent pretty good. I'm slightly worried the frame horns got tweaked looking at how bent the bumper is. The Goliath honestly likely saved the Disco from being totalled, if it were the stock one the whole front end would have been bent up really good.

I've always hated having big box stores or Jiffy Lube type chains touch my vehicles and this just confirms all of my worst fears. Thea manager was apologetic and submitted all the insurance stuff, which I guess was something.

I'm more frustrated than mad, if you've been following this thread the front bumper on this Disco has been getting destroyed through no fault of my own. And I was really happy with how the Goliath looked after I got it all painted. Oh well, now the waiting game resumes.

Another bummer was I didn't even get to appreciate the new shoes because I was filling out paperwork for the moron that smashed my car. They look good, nothing crazy, but they fill out the wheel wells better and look a little more like they should be on a Rover.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Still sorting through all the insurance/adjuster BS for the Costco disaster. Got P1300, P0301, P0303, P0305 over the course of the last two weeks. The 300 series is misfires on cylinders 1,3 and 5 and 1300 is a general misfire code. Since they're all on the same bank I was a bit worried, but decided to change the plugs as a low hanging fruit solution. They all looked ok, worn but nothing crazy. Ordered some magnicore wires, they're supposed to arrive Friday. I took it for a spin up Big Cottonwood and the codes stayed away so we'll see... Also, i think with how hard it's becoming to find a D2 in good condition i would just say to pick up the best one you can find, but man, SAI is a pain! If it were 5 years ago i think i would have tried very hard to avoid it. The plugs would have been a 30 minute job without it. Right hand spark plugs had a slight smell of gas but looked ok.. hopefully the new plugs and wires will clear that up.

Last edited by mtsuji90; 04-01-2023 at 10:06 PM.
YETIX (04-02-2023)

Quick Reply: 02 Disco "Build" Diary