Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Her name is Majesty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Your passenger side rear wheel seems pretty scary to me, it is missing parts of the outer lip. Why not swap it with your spare?

Old 04-01-2018, 01:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Today I replaced the radiator, cooling fan/fan clutch, installed the td5 thermostat, replaced some cooling hoses and clamps as needed, replaced the expansion tank and cap etc. All went mostly well. I took a shortcut when replacing the radiator saved several steps vs having to remove the grille and disconnect transmission intercooler lines. I noted that there as at least 2 different cooling fan designs for Discovery 2 as seen in pics. The smaller fan without the built in guard trim is easier to remove/install because there is a bit more space behind the fan for access.

After swapping over all the cooling system components I flushed the system using distilled water and Prestone cooling system flush. Currently on my 2nd flush and will do as many flushes as needed until the fluid flows clear. The truck had dexcool so I will continue to use dexcool once the system is cleaned out.

Im jumping off the Rotella diesel oil bandwagon in favor of Castrol GTX High Mileage synthetic blend 10w-40 oil. Castrol 10w-40 is recommended in the owners manual. Next I drained the transmission fluid for the 2nd time and added fresh Castrol High Mileage tranny fluid. Will continue to flush/refill process until the fluid flows red. Finally I greased all the zerk fittings on both prop shafts then lubricated all door hinges and key holes.

Still working on the flushes but the next project will be replacing differential and transfer case fluids.

Pulled the old fan/fan clutch

Pulled the broken radiator

Performed several cooling system flushes

Changed engine oil and transmission fluid flush.

Pulled the broken windshield cowl

replaced old cowl with the donor from parts truck.

Last edited by TRIARII; 05-06-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:22 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

" Currently on my 2nd flush and will do as many flushes as needed until the fluid flows clear. The truck had dexcool so I will continue to use dexcool once the system is cleaned out."

It's your truck, time, and money....but WHY, after all that work would you go backwards and still use Dexcool?

Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OverRover
" Currently on my 2nd flush and will do as many flushes as needed until the fluid flows clear. The truck had dexcool so I will continue to use dexcool once the system is cleaned out."

It's your truck, time, and money....but WHY, after all that work would you go backwards and still use Dexcool?

Improper vehicle maintenance & neglect = catastrophic failure = bad product = mass hysteria = class action lawsuits. Im jumping off that bandwagon

Genuine Land Rover XLC OAT Coolant/Antifreeze (Orange) is almost impossible to find and even LR suppliers like Atlantic British & Rovers North do not appear to sell the product. Dilemma.

If Im not mistaken XLC stands for "Extended Life Coolant" and OAT stands for "Organic Acid Technology". Prestone Extended Life Dex-Cool antifreeze/coolant (Orange) is apparently considered an "OAT" product, and is formulated for cooling systems with aluminum radiators.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

" Improper vehicle maintenance & neglect = catastrophic failure = bad product = mass hysteria = class action lawsuits. Im jumping off that bandwagon "
I certainly don't fall under any of that description.
My decision to NEVER use Dexcool is from many years of knowing what works well for me. I've learned some hard lesson$ from my experiences and others that know a ton more than me.
And after all the crap you have been through with your rigs I just don't see the need to shoot yourself in the foot right from the start.

But as I said before....it's your truck, time, and money = Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Lol @ trying to buy genuine LR coolant

Old 04-03-2018, 03:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Looks pretty rust free on the underside, that must be nice for a change. If...and that's a mighty big if...l ever get another rover it will be from down south or out west, for sure.

Anyhow, glad you are making some headway on maintenance and upgrades.

Brian.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

I just swapped radiators on my truck last week, I also didn't disconnect any of the cooler lines -- wasn't that hard at all. Looking at your pics though.. I have 2 oil coolers in mine Its an 01 so maybe a PO added a second one? I have to get a grease gun soon as well, gotta do all that stuff!

Looks good!

Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

"WHY, after all that work would you go backwards and still use Dexcool?"

Same reason he would use Castrol Synthetic 10w40 i guess.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Dave03S
"WHY, after all that work would you go backwards and still use Dexcool?"

Same reason he would use Castrol Synthetic 10w40 i guess.

Quick Reply: Her name is Majesty