Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Her name is Majesty

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
The point of a serial number is that each one is unique.
I can't believe you spent a grand on powdercoating your wheels so far. Given your history with wheel damage I don't think PC was a wise decision. Once you get a scratch in the PC it won't be long before the rest starts peeling off. I think a nice rattle can wheel paint would look good and be easy to touch up.

With regards to powder coating vs spray paint: "Powder coating provides better performance than wet paint—it is more resistant to chipping, scratching, and other wear because of the thermal bonding it undergoes during curing, and because it can be applied in much thicker layers.

In addition to its physical toughness, powder coating provides superior color retention. Long term exposure to moisture, sunlight, and heat breaks down the resins found in both paint and powder coating. This process, known as chalking, causes resin and pigment particles to lose adhesion. Affected particles form a chalk-like layer on the coating surface...."

SOURCE: https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blo...-vs-paint#gref

As always I appreciate your input and your willingness to offer advice. However you have a tract record for providing misinformation contrary to the facts. You live in the past man and all the power to you. I learn from my mistakes. We all start somewhere. So rather than bashing others for their mistakes why dont you reflect on your many years of experience both in offroading and vehicle maintenance. Consider all the trials and errors you've made and learn to be more compassionate of others less experienced than you.

Cheers

Old 10-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,204 Likes on 860 Posts

Agree, use serial number off trans in vehicle. It is not uncommon to make upgrades or changes during a model year, so having the right serial number is paramount.

There are some downfalls to powder coating, with regards to scratches of damage. It has nothing to do with "old school" mentality, a properly painted rim will hold up nicely (especially, if professional painted at a spray shop) and can be touched up as time goes on. Powder coating can't be. If I was doing a show car or something that would see no harsh conditions....powder coat. But, for the trail or woods...paint for me.

Brian.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:47 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Agree, use serial number off trans in vehicle. It is not uncommon to make upgrades or changes during a model year, so having the right serial number is paramount.

There are some downfalls to powder coating, with regards to scratches of damage. It has nothing to do with "old school" mentality, a properly painted rim will hold up nicely (especially, if professional painted at a spray shop) and can be touched up as time goes on. Powder coating can't be. If I was doing a show car or something that would see no harsh conditions....powder coat. But, for the trail or woods...paint for me.

Brian.
My understanding is that wet paint does not sep down into all the nooks and crannies well in contrast to powder coating. Because the wheel is hot during powder coating application, the material bonds much better to the wheel and does better job penetrating into all the nooks and crannies. Furthermore these wheels have a rust resistant layer beneath the powder coating (zinc primer). So even if the powder coating where to chip off the wheels are less likely to rust vs wheels that only have paint on them. Still further paint tends to run and drip and is more difficult to apply evenly across the entire surface of the wheel.

I do offroading maybe afew times a year and my truck has been built up with balance in mind. Balance between being a offroader and a daily driver. The shop I went to is top notch and they did a quality professional job. I trust these wheels will hold up well to the test of time. I'll also report back over the years on how the powder coating has held up. First hand experience.

On a final note these are steel wheels. From what I gather most folks use alloys so their experience is limited.

Last edited by TRIARII; 10-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 785 Likes on 519 Posts

No one is questioning the bonding process of powdercoating being superior...Having raced cars as well as now routinely abusing my D2 on and off the pavement (CO highways are brutal for rocks and mountain passes) A wet paint or even a plastidip is all I'll consider. Just highway driving has shredded my painted alloys to the point I won't even consider the time of painting my steelies. With a little prep time I can get wheels to look pretty damn good and spend a fraction of the cost and touch up or even redoing the wheels every 2 years to me still beats spending $500 on something that will be damaged no matter how hard you try to avoid it and the only way to fix it is to spend another $500.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:27 AM
TReK
Default Powder coating vs paint durability

Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Pro Wrench

yes it is more durable but the issue is once it's chipped especially with white wheels it will be noticeable and if like me that would drive me batsh*t crazy. The issue lies in the expense to have the whole wheel re-done vs the other options of painting wheels...

Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 AM
TReK

https://www.balgores.com/powder-coat...pray-painting/

https://www.imiproducts.com/blog/pai...-truck-wheels/

The arguments you folks are presenting seem to be contrary to all the research and contrary to what many fabricator shops, paint shops, wheel shops and metal shops seem to agree on. The general census is that although being more expensive, powder coating even on wheels is superior and more durable and lasts much longer and requires less maintenance than wet paint on wheels. I did not jump onto the powder coating bandwagon blindfolded. I actually took the time to speak with professionals at some of these shops about using wet paint vs powder coating. Ive done a fair amount of reading up on the process as well as the pros and cons. Perhaps some of you folks just have not tried the powder coating process due in part to the cost associated with it and perhaps some of you who have experience with powder coated wheels had the wheels done by someone who was not a professional. The one thing I gathered in all my research was that the preparation for powder coating is crucial. Now my wheels where completely sand blasted. Then primed. Then powder coated. etc. I did not go cheap with these wheels and I made it very clear to the shop how rare these wheels are and the importance on a high quality product. I also showed them pictures of the first set of wheels I had done at another shop. A shop that itself is new and already has bad reviews and bad practice. The shop I entrusted with my new wheels is awesome and very knowledgeable.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench

All that matters is you are happy with your purchase! and that seems to be the case so enjoy them as they do look fantastic. I have plenty of experience with both and with my applications i can think of much better uses to spend the money elsewhere on the vehicle...but to each their own.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I get it. You spent a lot of money powdercoating your wheels and want to justify it. I know what powdercoating is and the process behind it. Powdercoating is perfect for SEMA, or road vehicles, or people with deep pockets.
My front and rear bumpers were powdercoated. I wasn't impressed. Once they got scratched the water got under the powder coat and the **** started coming off in big flakes. If I ever put my truck back together I'm having the remaining powdercoat removed and using an oil based paint that can easily be wire wheeled and touched up. My bumpers were steel, BTW.
And of course the people that sell powdercoating are going to tell you its superior, it's how they make money!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by fishEH:
ArmyRover (10-06-2019), Detoured Discovey (10-04-2019), The Deputy (10-05-2019), whowa004 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Fail.

Quick Reply: Her name is Majesty