Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
In some cases a faulty 02 sensor can trigger lean/missfires so I'm hoping the corrected rear sensors will resolve the engine misfire. Otherwise I will be replacing both the ignition coils.
I could be totally wrong, but I dont think post-cat sensors do anything but monitor the cat health, so I doubt thats the misfire cause.

However I definitely got some funky behavior, including misfires, when I had a completely dead pre-cat sensor. The STFT on that side was constantly at 25 IIRC (default I think).

Old 04-08-2016, 11:04 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Lets talk about lockers

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
I could be totally wrong, but I dont think post-cat sensors do anything but monitor the cat health, so I doubt thats the misfire cause.

However I definitely got some funky behavior, including misfires, when I had a completely dead pre-cat sensor. The STFT on that side was constantly at 25 IIRC (default I think).

In any case the mechanic thinks its one of my coils. Previous owner did replace one coil though. In afew weeks I will order a coil pack and to the job myself, looks easy enough.

On another note I think I'm ready to talk about lockers. Ive been a strong advocate against lockers or any other mechanical modifications that dramatically alter the performance of and or capabilities of my vehicle. Most all the parts Ive thrown into my truck were either genuine replacement parts or aftermarket direct replacement parts. Nothing extreme or out of place. But after careful consideration, tons of research and watching tons of overland material, I'm willing to mend my ways just a bit. But only if it such a alteration/modification can be justified to the full degree:

1: Will this modification make my truck look stupid? (IE: Rock crawler on steroids)

2: Do I really need this modification, will it ever be used? Will it ever come in handy?

3: Will this modification really improve the overall capabilities of my vehicle, and allow me to venture further, farther with confidence?

4: Will this modification bring any drawbacks? Will it damage my truck or create new weak points?

5: Will it save my save or increase the odds of me getting out of a bad situation when Im in the middle of no where all by myself?

With these questions in mind I think I can justify lockers on my truck. I will not go with any disconnects or massive lifts kits, huge tires, fender flares, stupid bumpers or fat aftermarket buttons retrofitted inside the truck like a Christmas tree.

So lets talk about lockers. It wont be for several months anyways but knowledge is power and I like to learn as much about them as possible before I make the big investment. SO here are my questions:

1: Why do you think I should add lockers to my truck?

2: What do they do? How do they work?

3 What is the difference between my CDL and lockers? How do they compare?

4: How many lockers do I need? Front or rear?

5: What are my options for lockers? Are their mechanical lockers? Are air lockers better?

6: When do I use a locker? Which one do I use?

7: Where is the best place to order lockers?

8: Do lockers replace your entire pumpkin assemblies?

Old 04-09-2016, 12:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

In any case the mechanic thinks its one of my coils. Previous owner did replace one coil though. In afew weeks I will order a coil pack and to the job myself, looks easy enough.

On another note I think I'm ready to talk about lockers. Ive been a strong advocate against lockers or any other mechanical modifications that dramatically alter the performance of and or capabilities of my vehicle. Most all the parts Ive thrown into my truck were either genuine replacement parts or aftermarket direct replacement parts. Nothing extreme or out of place. But after careful consideration, tons of research and watching tons of overland material, I'm willing to mend my ways just a bit. But only if it such a alteration/modification can be justified to the full degree:

1: Will this modification make my truck look stupid? (IE: Rock crawler on steroids)

2: Do I really need this modification, will it ever be used? Will it ever come in handy?

3: Will this modification really improve the overall capabilities of my vehicle, and allow me to venture further, farther with confidence?

4: Will this modification bring any drawbacks? Will it damage my truck or create new weak points?

5: Will it save my save or increase the odds of me getting out of a bad situation when Im in the middle of no where all by myself?

With these questions in mind I think I can justify lockers on my truck. I will not go with any disconnects or massive lifts kits, huge tires, fender flares, stupid bumpers or fat aftermarket buttons retrofitted inside the truck like a Christmas tree.

So lets talk about lockers. It wont be for several months anyways but knowledge is power and I like to learn as much about them as possible before I make the big investment. SO here are my questions:

1: Why do you think I should add lockers to my truck?

2: What do they do? How do they work?

3 What is the difference between my CDL and lockers? How do they compare?

4: How many lockers do I need? Front or rear?

5: What are my options for lockers? Are their mechanical lockers? Are air lockers better?

6: When do I use a locker? Which one do I use?

7: Where is the best place to order lockers?

8: Do lockers replace your entire pumpkin assemblies?
I'll bite. I'm not a fan of the ARB style air locker. It's one more component to fail. Lots of other folks like them though.

One thing to think about. If you're locking every thing up, you put more stress on the axle, which creates a cycle of upgrades as you need up with hd axles as well.

Honestly, I've never found my drive system to be the limiting factor. I have never been anywhere where I've needed to engage 4wd in my 109. The tires (duratracs) work really well and it's just always been a case of picking a line and maintaining momentum.

If you do want to upgrade your capabilities, my biased opinion would be to give lucky8 a call and talk it through with them.

Trutrac on the front and a Detroit locker in the rear in addition to your CDl would be formidable in overland type situations. Reasoning is that it's a passive system which should theoretically work well with your factory traction control.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

If you have to ask if you need lockers or ask what they do, you don't need them. You're asking a lot of questions that can be answered through a simple Google search or on YouTube.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
If you have to ask if you need lockers or ask what they do, you don't need them. You're asking a lot of questions that can be answered through a simple Google search or on YouTube.

Im asking for opinions from you guys, who use them on your Rovers. Not generic **** from "Google".

Old 04-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Many of the results Google returns are from Rover forums just like this one.
Read up, Buttercup!
Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum - Search Results

Old 04-09-2016, 12:39 PM
TReK

UPDATE: Took the truck to the self serve car wash and left with a flashing check engine light. Hooked up the Icarsoft and sure enough cylinder 1 misfire. Just ordered a new coil pack from AllMakes 4x4 and will do the job this coming weekend.

I will read up on the lockers. Seems folks in the UK prefer different lockers than what are commonly used here in the states.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Im asking for opinions from you guys, who use them on your Rovers. Not generic **** from "Google".
If you google site: followed by a website followed by search terms, you can get results just from that site

site:landroverforums.com lockers

site:discoweb.org lockers

Last edited by pinkytoe69; 04-09-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
If you google site: followed by a website followed by search terms, you can get results just from that site

site:landroverforums.com lockers

site:discoweb.org lockers

Thanks much! I did not know about the "site" thing. Will give it a try. Also DiscoWeb forum posts are not viewable to non members. With rare exceptions.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

To put it simply...

A locker locks up the diff.

The result of that is you essentially turn the driveline between a pair of wheels into a single steel bar with a gear attached to it.

When you lock front and rear diffs as well as the transfer case, every single wheel will have drive power at all times.

The good: you can move when only 1 wheel has traction

The bad: the axle to that wheel can break in that scenario unless it is very strong

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build