Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Yes, that's an awesome repair...but it would double the entire value of my rig....and truth be told...mine's not worth that type of repair. Just thought I'd throw "my repair" out there, in case you'd finally decided to "pull the plug" on ever figuring out the numerous electrical issues on these things.

Any idea when you are heading out to Alaska?

Brian.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Yes, that's an awesome repair...but it would double the entire value of my rig....and truth be told...mine's not worth that type of repair. Just thought I'd throw "my repair" out there, in case you'd finally decided to "pull the plug" on ever figuring out the numerous electrical issues on these things.

Any idea when you are heading out to Alaska?

Brian.

Faulty ABS/Traction control can be a safety issue on any motor vehicle and I wont go cheap on the repair. The original ABS block lasted 13 years and 162,000k. Not bad in my book for a sophisticated system. Taping up the dash lights seems to be common practice for asswipes.

Have to wait until closer to June this year. Salmon run starts in late June and the plant usually does not hire to many people preseason. Also decided to wait out the cold weather. Not worth the risk right now.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Sounds like a load of shady mechanic BS to me but to each his own. Behold the final solution:

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/la...alve-assy.html
Bwahahahahaha!!!! You're not seriously going to drop $1500 on that are you!? You've got to have a little more sense than that, right?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Bwahahahahaha!!!! You're not seriously going to drop $1500 on that are you!? You've got to have a little more sense than that, right?
$5 for wiring around the bad connection, or 1500 POUNDS for a new modulator..... that's a hard choice.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I have to agree, you need to really look at the cash you throw into your disco.

In the time I have been on this forum you must have dropped 50k on your rig. Sorry, but its a little crazy and to top it off it seems you live paycheck to paycheck, even getting an auto title loan at one point. Do the bypass, start putting a few dollars in the bank.

And start looking for an 04' with no rust and good paint to start swapping your parts over to, your frame is rotting away. D2s are dropping in value!

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I have to agree, you need to really look at the cash you throw into your disco.

In the time I have been on this forum you must have dropped 50k on your rig. Sorry, but its a little crazy and to top it off it seems you live paycheck to paycheck, even getting an auto title loan at one point. Do the bypass, start putting a few dollars in the bank.

And start looking for an 04' with no rust and good paint to start swapping your parts over to, your frame is rotting away. D2s are dropping in value!
My guess is probably closer to 30k plus the original purchase price.

I disagree about d2's dropping in value. I have a friend looking for a clean '04 right now and he can't find one under 10k that isn't rotted out or ticking itself to an early grave. I do like the idea of finding a rust free donor car though. If I could have a "do-over" I'd look for an early car to build on as they're so much less expensive than the facelift models. No idea why, I'd take glass headlights any day over plastic

Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
$5 for wiring around the bad connection, or 1500 POUNDS for a new modulator..... that's a hard choice.
Im not familiar with the wiring bypass your referencing, could you elaborate? Im however familier with a abs wheel speed sensor wiring bypass that removes the yellow connector and is wired from hub directly to the computer underneath the passenger glove box inside the cabin. Im not sure how that relates to the shuttle valve failure fault Im getting though.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Im not familiar with the wiring bypass your referencing, could you elaborate? Im however familier with a abs wheel speed sensor wiring bypass that removes the yellow connector and is wired from hub directly to the computer underneath the passenger glove box inside the cabin. Im not sure how that relates to the shuttle valve failure fault Im getting though.
do option b. It works perfect for "shuttle valve failure" even though you put a new one in ABS Mod - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
My guess is probably closer to 30k plus the original purchase price.

I disagree about d2's dropping in value. I have a friend looking for a clean '04 right now and he can't find one under 10k that isn't rotted out or ticking itself to an early grave. I do like the idea of finding a rust free donor car though. If I could have a "do-over" I'd look for an early car to build on as they're so much less expensive than the facelift models. No idea why, I'd take glass headlights any day over plastic
I'm sticking with 50k. He had a mechanic do all the motor work from UK sourced short block to install, plus chasing all kinds of problems afterwards in addition to buying only new genuine parts.

In so cal there are several 04's on CL for under 6k in good condition.

As LR3 prices drop so do D2 prices.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:22 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by abran
I'm sticking with 50k. He had a mechanic do all the motor work from UK sourced short block to install, plus chasing all kinds of problems afterwards in addition to buying only new genuine parts.

In so cal there are several 04's on CL for under 6k in good condition.

As LR3 prices drop so do D2 prices.

$50k? Well what can I say? Really love my girl

But in all seriousness your math is off by $36,596.45... Let me spell it out for ya:

$5,500 for the rig.

Atlantic British parts since 2012: $2,219.37

Rovers North parts since 2012: $5,684.18

Labor charges for engine swap and diagnosing $4k ish.
Total $17,403.55

Plus a couple hundred bucks to John Craddock. Plus cost for premium fuel and lubricants over the years. Lets try to refram from making false or otherwise exaggerated accusations hmmm? Lets stick to the facts.

With help from John Craddock, Turner Engineering and other UK suppliers I could probably do a full restoration on my D2 plus accessories and still cost less than asking price for "like-wise condition" Defender 110 with all legal documents etc.

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-22-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build