Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Bosch Plugs bleh

Name:  4rAZmhW.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.20 MB

Don't know what this extension cord is doin in the engine bay but.. it runs all the way to the back of the truck

Name:  PWkoxFr.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  692.0 KB

Name:  kMxlPnY.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.36 MB

Had a TON of fun yesterday doing the plug wires because of example A below.

Name:  fFgEgDP.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  918.0 KB

Since i wasn't planning on doing the plug wires for a few days, I had to replace them without taking the IM off which certainly proved to be difficult. I think doing this process would be a zillion times easier if that stupid SAI crossover tube wasn't there. F-ck my life it was annoying to get the stupid bracket out in order to get the tube out. Bleh. I got really good any playing superman and jumping up and laying on top of the motor which was fun but managed to break the passenger side valve cover vent tube where it connects with the IM. Oh well.

Also find some old brittle rubber bits for the vac system so need to get some bits to fix that...

I am assuming this is not factory wiring?

Name:  4fLlfOF.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  924.6 KB

Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench

BTW -- my lovely Wife coined the name Magpie. I had asked her for help naming the Disco since I didn't want to do the StormTrooper or some other BS. Magpies are handsome birds that are real ******** -- a perfect fit for these trucks i think

Name:  0tmc5t5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  181.7 KB

Example of Assholeness.

Last edited by Saturnine; 02-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

You would be correct that is not factory wiring

Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Thats what I figured... Must be some sort of wiring for the lights that are currently in the "trunk" but the factory fog light wiring is also present

Can't wait to dive into the electrical part of this project

Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, apparently i am an idiot and no one said anything!

Reviewing how the TB heater dealio is setup, it would appear that mine is hooked up correctly. What is the purpose of the cut off hose that stems off the expansion tank that goes to.. no where?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Well, apparently i am an idiot and no one said anything!

Reviewing how the TB heater dealio is setup, it would appear that mine is hooked up correctly. What is the purpose of the cut off hose that stems off the expansion tank that goes to.. no where?

It's the overflow tube. If, or when would be more proper, it overheats...fluid goes down the tube, towards the ground...instead of spraying all over the engine. Figured you'd figure it wasn't what you thought it was, just giving you a chance to get your head wrapped around this thing.

Noticed you were having issues with the sparkplug in another topic. When removing, it's better to do one plug at a time. That way, you can mirror the angle of the socket/extension when replacing. Plus, lube them after you have broken them free (WD40)...let it soak for a moment...then finish removing. This let's the threads get lubricant on the thread and you're not turning dry/cruddy threads against the softer aluminum head threads. Lube the new plugs threads before installing, too (WD40).

Also, when purchasing a battery...get the biggest, baddest monster you can find. Especially, if you ever plan on running a lot of accesories.

Brian.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench

Thanks Brian!

Yeah, I guess i wanted to pull all the plugs at once to see if any of them were cleaner than the others -- I am still not convinced the HG is bad on this truck but we'll see.

Of the new plugs that went in, i used anti-seize so getting these out in another several thousand miles should be easier.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I am a fan of anti-seize as well on the plugs.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, thought i could purchase a 14mm back tap tool but no one has it -- Amazon here i come. Picked up a battery from Napa, 72mo warranty and 850CCA which should be fine for my needs.

Just glued the face plate on to the coil holder tray but the spring anchor in the assembly is busted, so gotta figure out a way to get that sorted.

Also noticed that the ashtray has been removed in favor of a 3 switch pod that has 2 switches and a blank. Fog light and cruise control switch? Hmm.. No wiring behind them sooo i guess i can wire them up for something later down the line.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Pick up! Fun to follow a new build!

Congrats

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.