Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Went junk'in today and found some good stuff i needed. $44 got me new B - pillar interior trim pieces, rear seat trim, spare tire carrier and a Bosch oil pressure gauge. All installed and looks good. MagPie didn't come with the interior B - pillar trim except for one piece. Found suitable replacements even though the donor car had real leather and MagPie doesnt -- colors are slightly different.

Name:  GHaSHUc.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  895.4 KB

Color difference -- left one is what was in the truck and right is what i got today.

Name:  m7vpl84.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  1.55 MB

Rear seat trim looked a bit tatty so i grabbed these black leather / smooth ones. I think it looks alright

Name:  tU42LVx.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  Gb2r4aW.jpg
Size:  930.6 KB

Name:  WR54Dio.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  789.6 KB

Funny thing about this mech oil pressure gauge -- it was installed in the engine bay near the SAI pump in the donor Disco 2 -- weird. I couldnt get the bolt out of the oil filter housing (didn't have the right wrench) but got the brass fitting which screws right into the extra bolt on the oil filter housing. Hopefully i'll get mine out, drill it and tap for the brass fitting and be on my merry way.. Came with a mount so thinking about putting it..

HERE

Name:  8dcMveZ.jpg
Size:  944.8 KB

Fun times

Old 07-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

That cup holder full of screws looks exactly like what my 500.00 had everywhere in it lol.

Gotta love a good day at the pick n pull!!

Old 07-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes!

Used all those bolts though, so cup holder is empty now..

I was thinking about going back to the same yard today and grab that stupid bolt out of the oil filter housing to run the oil pressure gauge but i got lazy

Old 07-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Nice haul!

Old 07-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Changed the bump stops in hopes of increasing the turning radius -- Went to Home Depot and got bolts / washers. FYI -- Turn stop replacement bolts are M12x1.75 -- I got a 25mm length and stuck on 2 washers, reduced the size around 1/4".

So far so good but i'll get a better sense tomorrow of the improvement.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (07-05-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Changed the bump stops in hopes of increasing the turning radius -- Went to Home Depot and got bolts / washers. FYI -- Turn stop replacement bolts are M12x1.75 -- I got a 25mm length and stuck on 2 washers, reduced the size around 1/4".

So far so good but i'll get a better sense tomorrow of the improvement.
welcome to the non 3 point turn club

Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Went junk'in today and found some good stuff i needed. $44 got me new B - pillar interior trim pieces, rear seat trim, spare tire carrier and a Bosch oil pressure gauge. All installed and looks good. MagPie didn't come with the interior B - pillar trim except for one piece. Found suitable replacements even though the donor car had real leather and MagPie doesnt -- colors are slightly different.

Color difference -- left one is what was in the truck and right is what i got today.

Rear seat trim looked a bit tatty so i grabbed these black leather / smooth ones. I think it looks alright

Funny thing about this mech oil pressure gauge -- it was installed in the engine bay near the SAI pump in the donor Disco 2 -- weird. I couldnt get the bolt out of the oil filter housing (didn't have the right wrench) but got the brass fitting which screws right into the extra bolt on the oil filter housing. Hopefully i'll get mine out, drill it and tap for the brass fitting and be on my merry way.. Came with a mount so thinking about putting it..

HERE

Fun times

Guage will look good there, but depending on your heigth, it may hit your knee.
I am mounting my oil pressure gage where the clock is, next to the power door lock button.
When I have time later, I will switch sides, lock button and guage to left side of radio, and rear defrost, heated windsheild, hill descent, etc will move to the right.
Just extend and solder wires.
I used a command strip to put my UltraGage bracket on the left side coin tray, so eventually the oil pressure guage will be directly above it.
After removing the clock, I dremeled out the 2 1/8" guage opening.
I didn't want any guages on the dash or A pillar.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench

It shouldn't hit my knee but i guess I'll find out

I've done A - pillar mounted / fiberglass stuff before so maybe i'll do something like that. Oh well, i'll figure it out.

In other news, MagPie's temp number seems to be 194. 90% of the time that is where the temps sit while driving around in the 90+ heat, i've seen a low of 179 in the AM and a high of 205 sitting in traffic on a day with temps over 100.

I am pleased.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Still trying to figure out what to do for a reverse light I kinda just want to get a 2x3 LED setup and just mount one to the underside of the rear bumper or in/on the spare some how. Hmmmmmm

Old 07-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

Still trying to figure out what to do for a reverse light I kinda just want to get a 2x3 LED setup and just mount one to the underside of the rear bumper or in/on the spare some how. Hmmmmmm
Same thought I had, mount a switchable in the rear tire. As long as you have a water proof quick disconnect it should not be a problem.

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.