Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Just keeping things updated here. Not gonna post in detail but the pics will be here!

Keep dealing with overheating problems but about to overhaul the whole cooling system so I'm hoping that I'll find some answers when inspecting the old parts that are on the truck. Also noticed that I have removable sway bars in the front which will be nice for when i actually go off roading

Name:  5HYFJrm.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  1.34 MB

Name:  IBGPhI9.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  BQ7evyU.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  3.86 MB

Name:  idWY72R.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  829.1 KB

Last edited by Saturnine; 03-21-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Just realized i never actually shared pics of the bumper that came with MagPie. I wasn't sure what it was initially but I think it is just a D2 brush guard with the "wings" cut off -- the mounts are exactly the same on the other D2 bar I have. I might just run this for now and sell the D1 AND D2 bar that I have, although there is a part of me that wants to run just the bumper rebar and then the D1 bar for a super stripped down look.

Name:  L6bWBhl.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  2.73 MB

Name:  wb8Z2nb.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  3.14 MB

Lights are "Lightforce" and I think they are the 240mm blitz model. They are very plasticy and light -- havent plugged them in yet so i dont know how bright they are. I think visually they are to big for the front of the truck and I like the idea of having a smaller LED setup. Lots of bridges to cross before I can deal with this stuff!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Pro Wrench

My cooling thread

Just keeping this updated... I was thinking i should probably build a pressure / bleeder thing for the coolant system to help me get rid of damn bubbles.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Welp, I'm calling it.

HG's are toast.

Truck basically overheated while idling in the parking lot, lots of condensation that smelled like salt and vinegar chips out the tail pipe. I guess my shenanigans from last week overheating finally killed them.

Le sigh. I knew this was coming but i just wished i could have driven the truck more than 120 miles since owning before having to tackle the task at hand.

At least this build thread will be a little more interesting moving forward

Old 03-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

It's not the most difficult job in the world...but I get what you are saying...a little windshield time would have been nice. Just start soaking down everything with WD40 and take your time. Me, l like to remove the air cleaner lid and filter and set the A/C compressor inside there, then set the P/S pump/bracket over top of that...gets them out of the way without removing lines. The rest is just nuts and bolts and time.

Good luck.

Brian.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Always so positive Brian!

Gonna start soaking everything, I hope the manifold bolts don't cause me problems but.. They probably will because.. Land Rover. At least doing this job will let me do some other stuff I've been meaning to do such as re-wrapping all the engine harnesses with a silicon tape to keep them safe.

Anything else I should do while in there?

Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

For what it's worth,
I bought my D2 last July.
Drove it 6 hrs home, and about 30 miles in the next 2 weeks.(ran great, didn't heat, just ticked badly).
I haven't driven it since! lol
I measured crank and rod bearing clearance last night, and hope to have time to start reassembling the engine in the next few days.
So, I feel your pain.
+1 on Best4x4's ideas too.
The ac compressor does fit perfect in the airbox, wihout disconnecting the lines.
And other than the usual stubborn bolt, head gaskets are an easy job.
Good luck with it!

Old 03-29-2018, 10:38 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Always so positive Brian!
Gonna start soaking everything, I hope the manifold bolts don't cause me problems but.. They probably will because.. Land Rover. At least doing this job will let me do some other stuff I've been meaning to do such as re-wrapping all the engine harnesses with a silicon tape to keep them safe.
Anything else I should do while in there?
If you don't already own one of these, then get a Mayhew bolt extractor.

If & when a bolt goes titz up you will have an out. There are cheaper $20ish versions, but don't waste your $.
Google the Mayhew part number for decent prices. I hope you won't need it, but that tool is a champ!
> You are being redirected...

Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
If you don't already own one of these, then get a Mayhew bolt extractor.

If & when a bolt goes titz up you will have an out. There are cheaper $20ish versions, but don't waste your $.
Google the Mayhew part number for decent prices. I hope you won't need it, but that tool is a champ!
> You are being redirected...
+1 on this stud extractor, I used it to remove a broken stud from the thermostat housing on my D1

Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench

Nice. I have some stud extractors someplace but I suppose a BOLT extractor would also be useful..

Just in thinking about doing all this, I'm weirdly excited to actually clean this damn engine and maybe do some painting

Worth getting the headers thermo-coated / thermo - paint?

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.