Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Project Dirty White

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I was able to take it out on the first test run. The OME HD suspension is stiff as he'll with no weight on or in the truck. I'll see how it goes when I add the bumpers, rack etc.

Name:  20170604_080107_zpsnpcu57nq.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  279.7 KB

Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Looking good!

Old 06-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats,looks good.I always forget how well backing soda works.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench

As usual some home restructuring has got me questioning selling this one too. I've got it listed but no official takers yet.

I recently bought a 2010 Bmw 328i Xdrive wagon. This is taking over as my road trip machine for now. In the past I've built my Rovers to handle this chore but after taking the Beemer on 2 trips, it's obvious to me how much better a trip could be. I was doing 85 with the A.C. on never once a gremlin. 80 up the biggest grades. All the while getting 26.7 mpg compared to the 12-15 I was getting. It was an improvement in every way. Unless I plan to do definite off roading the BMW will always get taken.

Name:  20170622_150043_zps4elhqhyz.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  272.0 KB

That being said the rover is sort of a toy at this point. Not sure it makes sense to really build it if it's just to putz around in the desert. Why worry about appearances or seat condition if its just gonna get driven less than 10 miles? Maybe once or twice a year I'll go on a camping trip with it. It seems a waste of an amazing truck just to let it sit and only get it dirty.

A stock Discovery could do most of the trails I do if I was careful. I dunno. Still tossing it around.

The wife is in full blown school getting her degree and it would be really nice to have the money from it's sale. At the same time it's not costing me anything. It's running great now.

Name:  20170607_192926_zps6sjaarrx.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  306.7 KB

Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

You'll regret it!!!
Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
As usual some home restructuring has got me questioning selling this one too. I've got it listed but no official takers yet.

I recently bought a 2010 Bmw 328i Xdrive wagon. This is taking over as my road trip machine for now. In the past I've built my Rovers to handle this chore but after taking the Beemer on 2 trips, it's obvious to me how much better a trip could be. I was doing 85 with the A.C. on never once a gremlin. 80 up the biggest grades. All the while getting 26.7 mpg compared to the 12-15 I was getting. It was an improvement in every way. Unless I plan to do definite off roading the BMW will always get taken.

That being said the rover is sort of a toy at this point. Not sure it makes sense to really build it if it's just to putz around in the desert. Why worry about appearances or seat condition if its just gonna get driven less than 10 miles? Maybe once or twice a year I'll go on a camping trip with it. It seems a waste of an amazing truck just to let it sit and only get it dirty.

A stock Discovery could do most of the trails I do if I was careful. I dunno. Still tossing it around.

The wife is in full blown school getting her degree and it would be really nice to have the money from it's sale. At the same time it's not costing me anything. It's running great now.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
You'll regret it!!!
Probably. Do I sense a BMW insult in there somewhere? Haha

Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Probably. Do I sense a BMW insult in there somewhere? Haha
No not at all actually. Just that you'll probably regret selling your RRC and buying another will probably cost twice as much later down the road.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts
Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Not sure mine will ever fall into that category. Right now it's a driver/off roader. With the quarters cut and the original paint/body a little worn, doesn't seem like it will ever be a concourse resto 35k truck.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench

Been awhile since updating. It's been a crazy few months. I attempted to sell this and be done w building trucks for awhile and just drive my BMW.

Well the wife wrecked my car. So that was the end of that. The truck lay idle for 2 months while I went through major home construction. I had mold/water damage. New floors. Drywall. Base boards. The works. The truck didn't get much attention other than taking my dogs to the desert.
Last month I started getting it ready for my annual camping trip. So here are some updates.

First I pulled the annoying power front seats. I freaking hate power seats. I pulled a set of manual ones from my parts Disco and had them rebuilt and recovered in extra thick black vinyl. I used a really good spray paint to redo the headrests in black. They were almost a bolt in. The seat position is a bit high. I may lower them a bit eventually.

Next I added a boatload of heat/sound insulation. I've used this stuff before. I'm sure there are better methods. This stuff is cheap and available at Lowe's around the corner. It's sticky one side and foil on the other. It works great. It makes a huge difference. I added a second layer of the cotton/foil type on top of that. Glued it all down with spray adhesive. I did the front. The rear passenger area and the trans tunnel for about 60 bucks.

Quick Reply: Project Dirty White