Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Project Dirty White

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:17 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Great project. Well done work. Someone is going to pay you for that truck some day

Old 11-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

Stop updating this thread. You are going to cost me my marriage as I keep looking for something like this. I’m still a relative noob to the D2 I got too! I just these silly notions of stuffing a diesel or a an LS motor in a good shell.

The killer blow to my dream is the boss doesn’t like the RRC. She really likes the Disco for the toy and truck we use it for, but the RRC doesn’t do it for her apparently.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm sorry. Haha. Sucks. I love the way to Classic looks. That's the main reason I deal with all the annoying things about it.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! I haven't checked in for a while...Nicely done!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench

More pics of the trip

I think it's time to install the D2 weather stripping..

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 11-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

That's great that you didn't get rid of your rover. The best part is you're having fun with it.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

About ten miles from the house, I see one of these rovers, seems about the same vintage, maybe a tad older. It's been sitting in the same spot for about six months now...and my hands just about turned the wheel of my vehicle into their yard last week...to see what's up with it. But, my better judgement prevailed. I'll just live vicariously through this thread...for now...because...I know darn well...my better judgement never last for long.

Brian.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Pro Wrench

It's been an eventful interesting 4 weekend. First I'll start off with the little stuff I did.

I swapped out the door weather stripping with the D2 stuff. Made a big difference in door rattles and whistles. Then I swapped out my rear c pilar trim panels inside and out. Mounted my fire extinguisher too. I changed the color of the panels from beat up grey to the same black I used on the head rests. Man this crap works great.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Moving on to bad news. On Friday I took the wife and the dogs out hiking to a spot about 10 miles into the desert. I've been there w the dogs literally hundreds of times. Rock scrambling. Hiking. Good exercise for all of us. And some decent wheeling to get there too.

While talking and hiking we hear one of out dogs let out these horrific screams. Thinking he fell and broke a leg I bolted over there and Discovered his foot in this:

Someone had hung up dog toys and chained this to a tree. Any one of us could have stepped on it. Still trying to find out if it was in a legal area. I've been going to this area for years and years. Never seen anything like this.

Getting him out was one of the worst experiences of my life. He was frantic panicked and down right insane with terror and pain. He broke off 3 teeth trying to bite it off his foot. I sprinted over rocks. And lept down from a high rock not thinking sprained my ankle (never felt it) Once I got there out of instinct I like a retard reached right for the trap and he clamped onto my hand. We wrestled for a free minutes then my wife caught up to us she did the same thing I did while I was trying to hold him down. He got her hand as well. Grabbing the meat of his face and ripping his head backwards my wife was able to finally use both hands to release the trap.

We we're all badly bleeding. All covered in each other's blood. I was able to gather him up. Carry him to back to my truck and drive back to an emergency animal hospital.

I had to drive the truck hard. Really hard. Hills and obstacles that I would normally creep over I was full throttle. I looked down at one point and the tach read 5k+. Did that at least 3 or 4 times. Jumping hills. Rolling over rocks and boulders. Then on pavement doing 80-90mph All while me. My wife. And my dog are bleeding everywhere.
It was awful. We bursted into the hospital with the dog in my arms. Us covered in blood. We were quite the sight I'm sure.

Dog is gonna be ok. His foot will be ok eventually. I've got stiches in my hand and the wife has some bad cuts and bruises.

No. F'ing. Fun.

Came home and parked the truck. Yesterday I went back up there solo to look for more traps and warn anyone hiking up there. I noticed the truck running like crap and an ominous knocking noise. After I got home I checked it out and it looks like I'm loosing compression inside the engine. Like a valve isn't seating. It's making a Choo choo noise as soon as you lift the oil fill cap off.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 11-26-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Decision time now.

1. I pull the heads and see if the problem is obvious. Like a bent valve or something. This thing (Rover V8s in general) has always been a little rattly in the valvetrain especially cold. It quiets down when it warms up. Maybe this one was warning me the entire time.

This truck has 192k on the clock. I have no written history on this engine. I've always suspected it had been gone through. It's got good oil pressure and it doesn't leak anywhere. It's been out before. I can also see newer freeze plugs. Timing chain is tight. Oil gallies in the heads are spotless. Motor mounts have been replaced.

What if it is a bent valve now it's got at least one bad lifter. In the past in other motors I've never replaced just one lifter. And I'm worried about putting new lifters and push rods w an old cam. Wouldn't that make a cam swap necessary?

2. I pull the entire thing and swap it in the Defender 3.9 I have in my garage. As far as I know it's got 90k on it. The truck had an electrical fire and the owner pulled it to do an LS swap. I know ziltch about this motor other than the milage. Kind of scary. But would be nice upgrade for the 3.9. And nice not to have to do any internal work. But might be smarter to do the HG on it while it's out.

3. I sell it as is. Include the motor and take a loss.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 11-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Dirty White