Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Defender 2004 TD5 Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 04:24 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Defender 2004 TD5 Power Issue

Hi All,

I am looking after my brother's 2004 Defender TD5 130 double cab while he is out of the country (I hope he does not check this forum too often).

I need some assistance as I am not a mechanic and would prefer not to get fleeced.

This morning the car started perfectly. I got about 5km from home, at the bottom of a hill. The car lost all power and then cut out. I pulled over and the she started again but drove about a meter before losing all power and then cutting out. After that she would turn over but not start.

I towed it to a Landy repair place and they checked the fuel pump and that there was fuel but could not get it to start. They also tested the battery and connected the computer without finding out what the issue is.

The mechanic wants to replace the starter motor and he says it is struggling to turn the engine over and this could be pulling power from other things.

As a non-mechanic is seems strange that an issue with the starter motor would kick in 5kms into a journey. So I would just like some educated feedback on if this is plausible?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2022, 04:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

The starter motor would not make it quit running while driving, period. You need a different mechanic. Did he actually check fuel pressure at fitting with a gauge, or just smell gas in cylinder? You need correct pressure...or it will not start. Just having some fuel presssure or fuel present at fitting when pressed or smelling gas in cylinder with spark plug removed...is not how you check it...you need to know exact pressure, while cranking and running.

Odds are, if there are no codes...it is either fuel related or poor battery/charging system condition.