Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Early Christmas gift

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ITS ALIVE! I finally got the truck all put back together... and she is running great! Its been a long while since I have used a set of feeler guages...LOL!
Got some great weather, and some time off work, and set to complete the project (at least this part of it). I was thinking I would have some fun priming the fuel, but was very suprised when she rolled over a half a dozen times and fired right up. I reset the valves, adjusted the injector pump timing, cleaned the oil off me and the truck, and went for a ride. She seems to have a bit more "power" (I know...its a 2.5), less smoke, and a bit quieter. After a shower and a stroll to dinner, I checked under the bonnet...NO LEAKS! I figured either I messed up some where, or the fluids where empty. Nope...all good so far.
I took off the rack to do some mods, and new seats are on the way, along with some sliders. I am headed off next weekend to a buds shop to get the winch/fare lead/brush guard all sorted. I am still torn as to the headliner. Not sure as to renew and reinstall it, or just deep 6 it.
A shake down trip is in the plans. I will post up how she fares.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Mudding
Default Over due up date

What long strange trip it has been. The 110 was very happy for a while...too happy I guess. After putting about 3k miles on the truck running hither and yan I pulled her into the shop to do some wiring clean up and fuse box replacement. I guess that while pulling jumpers and crap around the motor bay, I broke of the plastic pressure relief handle on the radiator cap. Well...I didn't see it and when for a drive.......a very very bad move on my part. Needless to say she over heated badly...very badly.
Back to oil coolant mix crap. Found the head had cracked. New head machined and on...no issues right? Not so fast. Still getting mixed fluids. Not a good thing especialy when I plan on taking her to the Vermont Overland in a month.
Sourced a "new" 2.5....did the transplant and now adapting the fuel system and some other tid bits And HOPE to have her running tomoro afternoon.
Now durring the down time, I did get the new Exmoor mid seats in...rack modded and tent mounted...awning mounted...aux battery installed and wired....all rear lights now work all the time...LED light bar mounted...interior LEDS installed...and dual jerry can holder and 10 gal fresh water tank mounted. Basicly all ready for a good overlanding trip....if that motor works out that is.
Stay tuned.....

Attached Thumbnails Early Christmas gift-d110.jpg  

Last edited by ranewman; 07-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Your own portable shade tree. Some people have done diamond plate on the doors. Looks great. How about heat and oil psi gauges?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Mudding

Ahhhh...guages are done...and operational. Got her all buttoned up and she is running great...and no leaks...well so far.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ranewman
Ahhhh...guages are done...and operational. Got her all buttoned up and she is running great...and no leaks...well so far.
you know the old saying ...... better check to see if its empty

Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Mudding

It has come full circle. I have put down alot of hot miles this last week with no issues. It is actually running much smoother and quieter (as much as a 2.5 can). The "to do" list is getting smaller by the day. I will dedicate Tuesday as a "gotta finish this stuff" day, and then its off to NW Pa. for a good shake down run. If she passes that test, its off to VOT for a romp in the Vermont country side.
The pic is a local charity car show I set up at on Saturday.
If your traveling the PA Turnpike on Thursday....honk and wave as you go by!

Attached Thumbnails Early Christmas gift-110-show.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
4wd Low

Nice motor, ranewman.
I bet the biceps are well-exercised lifting that bonnet with the spare on it!
An old Series of mine had the spare inside, just behind the driver.
Now they put them on the back doors.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Mudding

Well...Margret came through the 1k mile trip with flying colors. Averaged 24 mpg, and no leaks! Got a bunch of looks on the Pa pike, and caused quite a stir at the Outback in Erie. Shes back in the shop getting her oil changed and some beauty rest as we load up and leave for the Vermont Overland Trophy on Tuesday morning.
While standing around in the rain at my reunion on saturday, I thought I would help my cousin break in his atv trail. Overall a great trip.

Attached Thumbnails Early Christmas gift-dirtyd.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ranewman
Averaged 24 mpg, and no leaks!
Then there's something wrong. Defenders normally come with self-draining oil seals as standard

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Mudding

LOL.....I must have used the wrong ones!
Well....we completed the Vermont Overland Trophy event last week. It was simply amazing to watch a Margret clawed her way through just about every thing Vermont could throw her way. 1st gear...low range...and hold on. We had 4 people, all our gear and a very capable stock 110. EPIC! We didn't complete 2 of the "challenges" and therefor did not "finish" the event. I really didn't feel comfortable with that many in the truck, and the weight on the top...but we still had a grand time. Some times it was like driving through a post card...sometimes a nightmare. Margret is getting some much deserved beauty rest, and fluid changes.
The tent is now dry...most of the mud washed off and the gear being prepped for CONCLAVE '13. I really can't wait to get back on the trails again. If you can make it..stop by in the am..coffee will be on.