Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Here is the answer to the "Can I import a...Defender?" question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A reply I received today from a Glasgow Defender Dealer on buying a new 110

Defender does not comply with current US, Canadian & Mexican safety regulations. Pre1998, we sold the Defender 90 V8 Petrol but due to the lack of front airbags had no choice but to withdraw the vehicle from sale in these markets.

The basic structure of the Defender does not allow us to re-engineer the vehicle to meet current US / Canadian / Mexican regulations. We are therefore unable to assist with the personal importation of any Defender into these markets.

Should a customer want to personally import a Defender themselves then they would have to purchase a vehicle and submit that vehicle to the local authorities for their approval to import and register. Unfortunately, Land Rover cannot assist with any part of this import process as we do not have any approved converters or experience with importing non conforming vehicles. Additionally, Land Rover cannot confirm exactly what regulations the current Defender that they intend to purchase conforms to or what modifications would have to be made to the vehicle.

If the customer wants to go ahead then they must personally come to the UK and take delivery of a Defender to left hand drive European Specifications for personal export from UK. The vehicle would be supplied free of UK taxes and a Canadian resident would be allowed to use the vehicle for up to 12 months within Europe before they must export it. However, the subsequent shipping and importation into Canada would have to be handled by the customer without any additional assistance from Land Rover.

I receive many enquiries for USA and Canada but so far no-one has ordered one as they have found it impossible to import a non conforming vehicle under 25 years old.

I trust that this information is of assistance.

Regards

Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by SummitJeep
I receive many enquiries for USA and Canada but so far no-one has ordered one as they have found it impossible to import a non conforming vehicle under 25 years old.

I trust that this information is of assistance.

Regards
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31889

This is my post on my attempt earlier this year to get my hands on a defender of my own. My problem wasn't the law, it was money. It would cost me around $7500 cad to get a good solid defender from the UK to my home in Quebec. This price includes shipping and the parts required to convert it to LHD (Quebec no longer permits RHD cars to be registered. Good thing I got my skyline back in '08 huh?).

The only extra money I would need is to set up meetings with engineers so that my vehicle conforms to Canadian safety standards. Honestly if I was from out west this whole process would be way easier.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

ok everything here talks about less than 25 yrs old but i want one older. I want a 1980 model 110 or 130 truck model, not restored but not junk. I want to drive it on the weekends and four wheel. doesnt really matter what hand drive but would prefer left. Can i import these? where is the best place to get them from? and what would be a fair price? also i live in tennesse and smog regulations are really lose here. there is not testing.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmille4.6
ok everything here talks about less than 25 yrs old but i want one older. I want a 1980 model 110 or 130 truck model, not restored but not junk. I want to drive it on the weekends and four wheel. doesnt really matter what hand drive but would prefer left. Can i import these? where is the best place to get them from? and what would be a fair price? also i live in tennesse and smog regulations are really lose here. there is not testing.
you can import it yourself or use a company. depending on how much time you have to get it sorted out.

check out these links

Skytop Land Rover - Your Source for Series Land Rovers.
Landrover Ranch
The British Northwest Land-Rover Company
ECR Defender 110's
Land Rover Import - 300tdi, 200tdi, Diesel Conversion