Ellie's welcome home detail - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 PM

The fender plastics were removed before I started on the paint. I had intended to refinish them, but the first piece I did just looked "painted" and I wasn't satisfied. I opted to order a new set. On to the wheels. Three of the four looked pretty good so I just cleaned them thoroughly. Lots of Iron X, Iron X gel and elbow grease. I sealed them with DP wheel sealant. The fourth one was really rough so I decided to refinish it myself. Again, I wasn't thrilled with the results. She needs new tires anyway, so I'll be moving it to the spare. New center caps and Union Jack valve cover finished everything off.
Attached Thumbnails
Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3313.jpg   Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3314.jpg   Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3316.jpg   Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3317.jpg   Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3319.jpg  

Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3324.jpg   Ellie's welcome home detail-img_3320.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduc View Post
The fender plastics were removed before I started on the paint. I had intended to refinish them, but the first piece I did just looked "painted" and I wasn't satisfied. I opted to order a new set. On to the wheels. Three of the four looked pretty good so I just cleaned them thoroughly. Lots of Iron X, Iron X gel and elbow grease. I sealed them with DP wheel sealant. The fourth one was really rough so I decided to refinish it myself. Again, I wasn't thrilled with the results. She needs new tires anyway, so I'll be moving it to the spare. New center caps and Union Jack valve cover finished everything off.
I think the wheel paint turned out nice. But I know what you mean. When you paint you see your deficiencies as your eyes go to "that" spot.

What wheel paint did you use? The color seems dead on. I need to refinish my winter wheels.

Have you tried Sonax wheel cleaner? It seems to be doing the same thing but I found that to work pretty well.