Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

$10 window regulator fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Got it done. Window goes up and down,....but when just starting the downward travel,...it sometimes jams about 1 inch from the top.....and wont go any further,......when I try to put it back up...........it makes a loud popping sound , I have taken the door completely apart and removed the regulator for a look,....everything looks OK, nothing loose or bent, all slides or rollers intact,...no worn teeth on the gear/sector.

any thoughts?
I bet it is because the makeshift roller you installed is getting caught in the round opening just before (coincidentally 1" before) the stop screw. Ask me how I know! Its just to the left of where the plastic window-holder-piece-thing located with the screw head that catches the roller.

My makeshift version actually got caught in that opening and wouldn't move at all...that's when I found LRD2&ME's post and bought some of his fabricated replacements. Was like $6 for two shipped and they came within 3 days. Check the classifieds section, you'll be glad you did.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
I bet it is because the makeshift roller you installed is getting caught in the round opening just before (coincidentally 1" before) the stop screw. Ask me how I know! Its just to the left of where the plastic window-holder-piece-thing located with the screw head that catches the roller.

My makeshift version actually got caught in that opening and wouldn't move at all...that's when I found LRD2&ME's post and bought some of his fabricated replacements. Was like $6 for two shipped and they came within 3 days. Check the classifieds section, you'll be glad you did.
So does that rig of yours have working windows?!?!?!?!?

Time to Party! Wanna wheel that rig this weekend? does it have good shoes yet? Get a winch yet? got straps? recovery points?

Did you pay your membership dues for 2011 yet?

Hijack over...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
So does that rig of yours have working windows?!?!?!?!?

Time to Party! Wanna wheel that rig this weekend? does it have good shoes yet? Get a winch yet? got straps? recovery points?

Did you pay your membership dues for 2011 yet?

Hijack over...
Hah, well...I'd love to wheel, I will get back to you on that one!
Windows...not exactly. The front drivers works, i'm checking the others motors before I bother with that dang Lift ECU again!
Membership dues...not yet. Still seems like a shady group!

Now the hijack is over.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Membership dues...not yet. Still seems like a shady group!
Of course. You don't expect them to sit in the sun and get burnt do you...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This^^

I fought with mine for 3 hours last night. Milled my runner out of a white plastic cutting board. I even counter sunk the back side so the head of the stud could sit down almost flush but it still kept getting stuck. Finally ended up filling in the hole on the track by using a build up of fast steel epoxy putty on the back side, followed by a thin sheet of it on the inside. Let it cure and sanded down smooth, then greased the livin heck out of it. Window is finally working, at least until I buy a new regulator. This one got pretty bent up.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Sava. Nice job. Thought you were scared of the dark. Good find on the rollers. I'd be embarrassed to tell you the condition of my 8 windows.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

When you look at the regulator, the rollers do more side to side sliding than anything. Seems like Rover would have considered that putting brittle plastic rollers in a vehicle that is intended to bounce through Borneo might lead to failure.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know if the sliders from a p38 would fit the channel on a disco? You can get the replacement p38 ones but i have no idea how big they are compared to the disco channel from looking at the pic. here's a link on AB's site.

Window Regulator Guide Clip (Genuine Part # ALR1051) - Land Rover door catches\window regulators from Atlantic British

Iff they are a little big they could be trimmed to fit the rail..

Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do this repair to mine but the regulator arm is all bent up so I got a replacement from the junk yard. Found a good one after taking apart 5 disco drivers doors. The roller is solid, at least for now, which leads me to wonder;
What is the best way to lube the window regulator. We all know there's a lower track with one roller (slider), 2 rollers (sliders) in the upper part that connects to the window and then there's the gears where the motor meets / moves the regulator.
How should all this crap be properly lubed up? Does anyone have an opinion? Knowing me I'd use the wrong stuff and would end up with tar inside my door within a year.
Thanks

Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I use white lithium, track and gears.

Quick Reply: $10 window regulator fix