Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

[Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twoxred
The speakers just unscrew and have a white and black plug that pull right out. On one of mine the wires from the bottom of the cone to the connectors were corroded. Often people part out trucks on craigslist try that. Otherwise there is a guy on ebay that sells them for 25 bucks plus shipping. If the subwoofer is crap take it out and do the fix in the sticky section. 3$ fix.
Thanks, I think I am going to replace them with Polk or Boston Acoustic speakers most likely though.

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Nope... Different systems. You'll like your model year.... 'tis a good one.

AND

demonlarry - "looked under my passenger seat for my diag codes... snapped a photo of what I saw. photo link is this what I'm supposed to see?"

That was a rare factory option... Lucky you!
I love it!

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Welcome to the World of Discovery. That is a heck of a first vehicle for a 16 year old.

I would caution you to take it easy with it and learn it safely so you don't destroy it, yourself, and any of your friends that may dare to go out with you. If you are not patient and careful with it, you can do a lot of damage in a hurry, especially off-road.

It will go some incredible places, it can also flip and kill you in a hurry if you try something you should not. I hope you realize that and respect it and nature as you go off-roading in it. Now I will get off my High Horse (he can't help it, it's his nature).

Do make sure all the fluids, especially the differential and transfer case have been changed. Does the CDL function properly? Do you know how it is supposed to be used?

It's a lot of vehicle, but also a lot of fun and a great thing to learn how to maintain it.

Download the RAVE, it contains all the technical data for your Discovery.

Take a lot of pics of things before you disturb them and as you are taking them apart to work on. This will help you learn about it and can be used to help get it back together correctly.

Take it easy with it to begin with until you get a goofd feel for how it handles.

Don't do the bash, crash and trash routine that so many new owners do.

Watch the various videos on Utube and see how some people really screw up.

Most of all, enjoy it.

I always tell new owners to treat it like a new woman you just met, get to know her top to bottom, front to back, inside and out.

You may want to look real good for any rust that was just painted over as well.
Haha actually this is my second vehicle. Don't be alarmed I did not wreck my first one, I just moved from out of state to Mississippi and did not bring my Acura Integra with me because it had a better home in Houston haha. I am a careful driver, and I have never off-road driven before besides with fourwheelers. It's kind of exciting just thinking about it haha. I am about to replace all the fluids right now, heading to Auto Zone. And I did DL the RAVE manual. By the way the turning radius is horrible haha I tried to pull a U-ey and almost hit the curb. I do NOT know what a differential and transfer case is. Enlighten me? And last but not least... nice quote.

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The workshop manual is in my sig. It is called Rave.

Check the freon pressue and make sure the compressor is running before you swap it. The electric fans in front should turn on when you turn on the a/c.

Change your fluids so you have a benchmark. It is easy and relatively cheap.

Check all of your fuses. Also with the aftermarket head unit, they probably bypassed the factory amp. Passenger side footwell. It runs on a common ground, and if you use an aftermarket head unit with it, you will get a buzz. Check the wiring before you go replacing speakers. I would put my money on a loose connection before a bad speaker..
I am going to change the fluids later today. I have not checked the freon yet but I will. And I do not think the compressor works..and the mechanic who sold it to me told me that also.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I have speakers if you are interested in them.
I'm going to get some after market 4" speakers later but thanks.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench

I can't find the OBD1 connector... it IS UNDER the driver side panel right? One panel opens the fuse box and wires galore. The othe panel is near the brake pedal and has a few wires, but nothing looks like the OBD1 connector. I did look under the passenger seat and there is a small box with a wire and the box reads "Land Rover On Board Diagnostic...something" If this is the OBD1.....am I screwed?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I did look under the passenger seat and there is a small box with a wire and the box reads "Land Rover On Board Diagnostic...something" If this is the OBD1.....am I screwed?
On Board Diagnostic = OBD

Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That box will light up with codes, if you have a check engine light. Cross the 2 digit code to the problem. Dont thing there is a port for it... Just the LED display on that box.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't find the OBD1 connector... it IS UNDER the driver side panel right? One panel opens the fuse box and wires galore. The othe panel is near the brake pedal and has a few wires, but nothing looks like the OBD1 connector. I did look under the passenger seat and there is a small box with a wire and the box reads "Land Rover On Board Diagnostic...something" If this is the OBD1.....am I screwed?
Screwed? why? Since you're new to rovers and have a '95 I'll explain. That little box is just a display which will give you two digit codes if there is a problem with any sensor for more than a minute. If it is properly mounted on its tab under the seat then slide it up and out to see the display side. It will not display short term, inconsistent faults (a momentary glitch.) So, if there is a code it means some part of the engine in not operating properly on a consistent basis, that's all.

If you get code 48 for instance don't just replace your IACV. The fault could also be something that makes the IACV operate outside of its normal range. It's sort of like a puzzle that tells you... "Something in this general area is wrong and now you have to troubleshoot the various, related sensors, switches and connections to figure it out."

I hope you have a good multimeter and aren't easily discouraged....

The plug to hook up a diagnostic scanner is the Data Link Connector, connector #245 which can be seen in Component Location View #141 in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.

Since you have RAVE you already have that info and can find all the above components with no problems right?

Last edited by Cosmic88; 12-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
On Board Diagnostic = OBD
Thanks, I was just checking because I was not 100% sure and I don't want to sound ignorant online haha.

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
That box will light up with codes, if you have a check engine light. Cross the 2 digit code to the problem. Dont thing there is a port for it... Just the LED display on that box.
Right, so check the numbers with a code book/page right? But there is a problem. I saw the OBD1 box but I didn't mention it was not functioning. The wires are all tangled and some are cut from the connector... *sigh* some things are to good to be true. Should I just bring it to the dealership? I set up an appointment with a mechanic shop that works on foreign cars next thursday.

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Screwed? why? Since you're new to rovers and have a '95 I'll explain. That little box is just a display which will give you two digit codes if there is a problem with any sensor for more than a minute. If it is properly mounted on its tab under the seat then slide it up and out to see the display side. It will not display short term, inconsistent faults (a momentary glitch.) So, if there is a code it means some part of the engine in not operating properly on a consistent basis, that's all.

If you get code 48 for instance don't just replace your IACV. The fault could also be something that makes the IACV operate outside of its normal range. It's sort of like a puzzle that tells you... "Something in this general area is wrong and now you have to troubleshoot the various, related sensors, switches and connections to figure it out."

I hope you have a good multimeter and aren't easily discouraged....

The plug to hook up a diagnostic scanner is the Data Link Connector, connector #245 which can be seen in Component Location View #141 in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.

Since you have RAVE you already have that info and can find all the above components with no problems right?
The box is not functioning, some wires are cut from the connector and it's all a tangled mess. I think I might remove the passenger seat to just get a really good look at it and try to solve the problem. And yes I did download RAVE but I don't think it will help me right now as of this moment.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I got a special one...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, I was just checking because I was not 100% sure and I don't want to sound ignorant online haha.
Only ignorance if you don't ask. I think we've all asked questions like that before. Just keep looking in the RAVE and ask away if you can't find the answers. That's why we are here...to help confuse, I mean help you.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Pro Wrench

I was reading on the forums and the big thread was the "Increased Gas Milage and it works!!!!!!" Blah blah long story short... well I got the Spectre Air Filter. Do I take off the box to install it?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default here we go....

As has been recommended to you before... don't buy modifications for that rig yet. Get it running properly FIRST. You will end up chasing BS when you have no idea if it is even setup correctly.

...However, it is your truck and you do what you want to it...

As far as RAVE being no help to you at the moment? Nothing could be further from reality. Good luck C. Bo...

Quick Reply: [Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I