Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

[Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
False. The ABS light illuminates and then goes out after a few revolutions of the tires. If there are no faults. It will stay illuminated if there is a fault. It has nothing to do with the amount of pads left. This is not to say your brakes are fine, just that changing them will not make your light go out.

If your check engine light comes on, there is a display under your passenger seat that will show you the 2 digit fault code.

Your "mechanic" has Chevrolet on the brain. Rovers do NOT work the same.

Oh, and there are 2 procedures for the blink code. One is across the terminals on the ABS relay (OBD-I), and one is at the data link connector (OBD-II). You are pre-OBD-II, so you can not access through the data link. You have to find the relay, pull it, and jumper there. Check RAVE for the location.
The ABS light stays on when I drive. The display under my passenger side is all wires and all this crap, I doubt it works. The person who owned this before me did a lot of crap work on wiring and stuff. I honestly think they used kite string and duct tape for some things.....

And he was not a mechanic, he was an Auto Zone sales guy. He owns a Rover, I'm not saying he should be credited but I'm just saying. He told me to place a paper clip in the blue ABS diagnostic connector (he showed me which slots). But we never did take out the ABS relay, what does it look like color wise? Do I HAVE to take it out?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is the one. Take out the relay and jumper in the slots he showed you with the relay out. Then turn on the key and read the codes.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Pro Wrench

I can't find the RELAY! Or is the blue connector thing the relay? (I don't think it is, but I would rather ask than you keep telling me and I'm oblivious)

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Camel Trophy

I wish I had a 95 to see for myself. I think you pull the relay and jump the blue connector, but I am not sure. Hate to tell you wrong...

Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Thats what the guy told me to do, but the problem is I don't know which relay is the ABS relay haha this is so confusing

Old 12-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Thats what the guy told me to do, but the problem is I don't know which relay is the ABS relay haha this is so confusing
DOWNLOAD THE RAVE!!! May as well get used to it as you will need it. As mentioned, the RAVE will show where the relay is.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Camel Trophy

He is trying to run it from a Mac. I gave him a pic of the relay in another post..

Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Pro Wrench

I know you did, but it was all blurry and black and white. I found all the relays, but I didn't know which one it was. So I went for the one that looked like the one on the pic (green relay) and that did not work. Check my other thread called "ABS = Annoying..yeah"
(btw yeah isn't the rest of the acronym)