Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1994 Discovery pre-purchase w/ lots of issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Discovery pre-purchase w/ lots of issues.

First post, just looked at a very well-worn 1994 D1. It's cheap though ($400) and might make a good winter vehicle.

168K on the clock. Exhaust is completely broken off of drivers side manifold at the collector so sounds absolutely horrible but actually runs smoothly. Been sitting a year.

The major problem is none of the electrical works. No lights, no blinkers, windows, locks, fan, etc. I can understand a few of these but all of them...seems like it might be inter-related. I looked at the fuses and everything looked to be intact, nothing blown. Is there a central fuse or ground that may be causing the issue?

Otherwise this thing seems fairly solid. The ABS light is on, check engine and service engine soon. It shifts fine (park, reverse, drive...didn't drive) and has a firm brake pedal.

The power steering is disconnected behind the pump (one of the lines is just hanging there) for some reason. I don't have any history as it was left at a storage facility and now the owner of the facility is selling it (salvage title).

If it weren't for the electrical issue I would probably take a chance on it. Thanks for any help you can provide. Matt

Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a fuse panel under the hood and under the dash, you mite get lucky and one of them have a bad connection. As far as the power steering goes if the pump was run dry you'll more then likely need a new pump. If the body and interior is in good shape I would say its worth 400 just in parts.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

offer them $200.

sounds like a basket case but for a couple hundred may make an interesting tinkering project...
then again, its a question of how much your time is worth...

Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope you're either the type of guy who doesn't mind driving around a well worn vehicle, or loves a project even if it takes all your time and money.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

HH - you can download the entire factory manuals for free, including electrical manual.

You can remove the ABS fuse under the hood and take that system off line. The power steering pump takes Automatic Transmission Fluid (RED), not power steering juice.

Electrical is much cheaper to fix than anything else, usually.

Don't drive without PS pump hooked up and fluid in it. You might be able to rig a temp fan belt and bypass the PS pump.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it sat for a year you can count on the following, unless it sat in a hermetically sealed chamber:

four new calipers and rotors
three or four ball joints
complete set of hoses
wires and plugs
Horrendous amounts of rust underneath

also, if you can fab, you might get away with replacing the exhaust for under $1200 (just the O2 sensors will cost you $400)

Do you have a spare $3000 to go with your $400 for the truck?

Flee, and spend the $3000 to get one that is already mostly right.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick and honest feedback guys. I was hoping for an easy fix on the electrical. Something like "I've seen this before, check the chassis ground located xxx." It just seems odd that all of these systems are broken but then again it is Brittish right?!?! (Sorry).

I checked both fuse panels, the one under the steering wheel and the one under the hood. Everything seemed OK, nothing obviously burnt.

Vehicle comes with a service manual and the factory owner's manual.

As far as the exhaust, I didn't even see any O2 sensors now that I think back on it... could be the source of the check engine light. I'm sure I just didn't notice them. Are they in the exhaust or in the manifolds? The exhaust that is there has a downtube off of each cylinder bank and a cat on each side. The downpipes come together then run down the driver's side to the muffler. It all looks factory but that would seem impossible given its age.

Here's a link to the craigslist post if anyone is interested in getting a visual:

94 Land Rover Discovery

Thanks! Matt

Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Heres some more drawings:

Underhood (fuses and fuse links)

All fuses

Check fuses with cheap meter with truck battery disconnected.

O2 location on later models - you'll need to look at your specific engine manual for location.

Will they let you put it in gear to see if it will move?

Paint looks ready for rattle kan kammo!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 underhood.pdf (454.9 KB, 125 views)
d1 cats.pdf (498.5 KB, 125 views)
d1 fuses.pdf (1.80 MB, 105 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-11-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it would be a good partaking truck for someone if they were looking for one.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Offer less and see if they bite. Just do not expect a cheap easy fix.

But you can get two used O2's for 45 bucks, yes the grounds may be bad (corroded).

94 is the first year. I would buy it, if it were near me, but that is just me.

Just don't blow a lot of money trying to redo it all.

Quick Reply: 1994 Discovery pre-purchase w/ lots of issues.