Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Range Rover Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012 | 09:54 PM
|
4wd Low
Default 1995 Range Rover Won't Start

New to the Land Rover world. I just recently purchased a 95 Range Rover and she wont start. Pretty sure shes a Disco 1. Got it in the garage today and checked over her a bit. Maybe someone here has ideas or suggestions

She has spark, has 120 psi compression in two of the cylinders (didnt check the others), has fuel at the fuel pressure check valve. Tried getting her to kick over with starting fluid and nothing at all.

She will spin over fine, but wont kick what so ever.

Spark plug wires were just changed before i got it, timing chain was done 20k miles ago. Timing seems right to me. Shes not showing any codes on the diagnostics display. Coil and secondary coil ohms out good. The Ignition Amplifier is next to the coil i believe and i havnt checked that, not sure what to look for.

She only has 110k on her and seems in good condition, so hoping i can get her going.

Tomorrow i figure ill throw a timing light on it, maybe thatll tell me if the amplifier is throwing off the spark timing

Old 11-26-2012 | 10:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Geeze, I think you need a larger garage! How many projects can you fit in a two car garage? You need this; http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip

It's a Disco. Even if it was a 95 Rangie you'd still be in the right ball park with the Disco crowd.

Uh, I'd check the wires for correct cylinder positions. They can be one position off and it probably won't start you know. If anybody removed the dizzy it's probably a tooth or two off, second guess.

Static time the beast using the Rave - the link I posted for you. If the amp is next to the coil then it's already been remote mounted because they sit on the dizzy body and overheat. Hope they indexed the chain correctly.......that would be my third guess.

I'm outta guesses right now.

Old 11-26-2012 | 10:21 PM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Geeze, I think you need a larger garage! How many projects can you fit in a two car garage? You need this; http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip

It's a Disco. Even if it was a 95 Rangie you'd still be in the right ball park with the Disco crowd.

Uh, I'd check the wires for correct cylinder positions. They can be one position off and it probably won't start you know. If anybody removed the dizzy it's probably a tooth or two off, second guess.

Static time the beast using the Rave - the link I posted for you. If the amp is next to the coil then it's already been remote mounted because they sit on the dizzy body and overheat. Hope they indexed the chain correctly.......that would be my third guess.

I'm outta guesses right now.
can fit quite a bit

just the rover, sidekick and little tractor in there now. I see youre in lower michigan, im in the UP.

Ill double check the plug wires tomorrow, i believe they are right. The timing chain was done by my buddies dad at a shop, small world eh? Looking at the receipts showed me that. It ran for 20k miles, so i wouldnt think it would be mechanical timing. Moving the dizzy back and forth in its alotted adjustment changed nothing also.

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:13 PM
Winching

getting power to the coil?

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:18 PM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
getting power to the coil?
yes, shows 12 volts from either side to ground

Old 11-27-2012 | 08:21 AM
Camel Trophy

Where ya at up in the UP. My family is originally from Red Jacket (Calumet) and moved to the Detroit area when the auto companies grew in the 20's.

I was working on a 95 for a customer and had the plug wires off to remove a head. When I put them back on it wouldn't start, one off from the diagram. Fixed it and it started right up. My sons Dodge did start when we had the wires off by one but it obviously ran like crap.

Old 11-27-2012 | 09:09 AM
|
4wd Low

Im from Gwinn, right outside of Marquette.

Im gona go tinker with her before i go to work today. Gona set it at top dead center and see where everything is pointed. Man, this thing will be a steal if the plug wires are one off. But nothing is ever that simple for me. lol

Old 11-27-2012 | 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy

Well it might be your lucky day today!

There's a bunch of us here to help out so no worries if it aint.......

Old 11-27-2012 | 01:44 PM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Well it might be your lucky day today!

There's a bunch of us here to help out so no worries if it aint.......
It's not, lol. Messed with her a bit this morning. Wire routing looks correct, the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder when she is set to 6 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke. Everything timing wise looks correct, but it cant be. I pulled the dizzy out and took her apart, set the gap in there and put her back in and set to where i believed she should of went. Tried to start it and nothing, turned the dizzy all the way CCW in its mount and it wouldnt start, but it would cough like it was firing on the way wrong stroke. So tomorrow i guess ill have another go with her.

Old 11-27-2012 | 02:36 PM
|
4wd Low

Just to clear up the a question i have. Is the timing mark for the crank pulley located around the 1 o clock position if looking under the hood? I know the degrees marks are on the pulley and i have found those and marked 0 TDC and 6 degrees BTDC.

Quick Reply: 1995 Range Rover Won't Start