Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Disco no spark issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased them from Mark that ihscouts put me on. Mark said they are matched. I also believe they match because the check engine light comes on and then goes off while cranking. I purchased another ECM before I knew they had to be paired with the alarm module (ebay) and when I tried it the check engine light never came on. I read that if the light doesn't come on they are not matched. If I am unsucessful tonight I will take you up on your offer. I am interested to know what the ECM is pulsing to the coils from each wire compaired to mine.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

I ohmed all wires on the knock sensor, crank sensor, and coil wires, and none of them were melted together from my test. They also tested good to the plug that goes to the ECM. Someone told me the Crank Sensor grounded to the bellhousing. Is that true? It is all plastic. I tested it and could not get a reading from the outside of the sensor to the pins on it. I am going to attempt to get a reading from the Crank sensor why the engine is turning over tomorrow. It got dark on me tonight. I also have pictures of the main relay. I can't post them but I will attemp to email them to you guys. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

You where able to set and reset the alarm, that tells me they are paired. The crank sensor is not grounded, two wires (green and brown) are from/to the ECU, the shield wire (white) is grounded as it should be.

The crank sensor is critical. The spacers for automatic and manual transmission are critical too, they're different thicknesses.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling

What shield wire? I only have the two (green and brown).

Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I check the crank sensor today with the truck turning over, by checking for voltage at the wires on the ECM plug and did not see a voltage. I did see a negative once, but it was all zero's. What should it read?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I checked for voltage from the crank sensor at the ECU plug while the motor was turning over and it didn't register anything. I did see a minus at one time but nothing else. Does that mean it isn't working?

Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Three Wheeling

I tried the grounding the crank sensor, still nothing??? Can anyone tell me what the voltmetter should read on the green and brown wire from the sensor while cranking?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I didn't know the crank sensor is AC not DC. I researched it and found it was AC. I tested in AC and got 1.08 to 1.4. What now?

Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling

I changed spark plugs and got it to fire up. It ran terrible like before back firing and hesitant on the throttle. Shut it off and it won't crank again. It smoked terribly as well like it wasn't burning all the gas.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

ok...a shot in the dark here.....Tom r and I both had the fuel tank pressure sensor go bad on our trucks....it gets its voltage from the same circuit that powers the IACV and the TPS....when the sensor shorted out it really messed with the info being fed to the ecu.....ya got nothing to lose here...access the top of the fuel pump and unplug the sensor on the top of the tank....when my truck was running like you last described..it began to run fine as soon as the sensor was unplugged

Quick Reply: 1998 Disco no spark issues