Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1999 disco 1 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 1999 disco 1 project

I've just about cleared my garage for space to bring my project in from the cold, Just received new fuel pump & harness-so good to go there. This car has sat for at least 2 years. One problem that is confounding me a bit-the auto trans won't shift from neutral. I think I could brutalize it into submission-but I would surly break something. I can't find a picture of what the shifter to transmission connection looks like-is it a cable or rod. Are the upper console mechanisms prone to seizing? Could the shift lock be semi-engaged. I like to have a clear picture in my mind to take that which is relevant apart. Any guiding light?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to download the RAVE snd the link supplied above to get all the technical documents.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a page from the RAVE to show you what the shift lever looks like. Be sure wheels are chocked, e brake on.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 tranny selector arm.pdf (877.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling

You said from neutral so this may not be helpful and then again it may not even be true but I read this somewhere on the web and would be something easy to check out:

Climate control: The electrical connector for the rear defroster can short to the center high-mount stoplamp (CHMSL) and blow a fuse. When this happens, the transmission cannot be shifted out of park.

Good luck with your project.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hh65flyer
You said from neutral so this may not be helpful and then again it may not even be true but I read this somewhere on the web and would be something easy to check out:

Climate control: The electrical connector for the rear defroster can short to the center high-mount stoplamp (CHMSL) and blow a fuse. When this happens, the transmission cannot be shifted out of park.

Good luck with your project.
OK. The road assistance unofficially talked me through this a few years back when I was stuck.

She told me to take the rear window defrost (inside left rear) connections and touch them together. Sounded crazy, worked immediately and I got home again. Haven't touched it since. but can't remember when I replaced them to their correct positions....maybe right away.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The rear door glass jumper trick is to bypass a faulty brake light switch.
HOSER, is the truck dead? Meaning, is there a charged battery in it?
You said it wouldn't shift out of Neutral? Usually it won't shift out of Park.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Drifting

The truck has a new charged battery. I was eventually able to clear all the immobilizer and alarm functions and got the engine (with clean oil) to turn over with key. Transmission shifter is seized in neutral. Fuel pump wiring was burned and top of fuel pump plastic at connection melted. I have new fuel pump and fuel pump connections. The transmission shifter can be moved with putting two feet on dash-there has to be a better way. I need to know if it cable connection or rods to transmission. The manual is near moronic reading with so little of the more critical facts presented. It states to removed the shifter handle (with sawzall or big pipe wrench), I can't see or feel a set screw or such and have little input from those that know other than reference to the said scribblings from Land Rover. Even if they had a detailed blow up of the shifter, I would know the value of attacking this from the top (and removing consul) or from the bottom and flooding connections with penetrating oil. I hate acts of futility so would appreciate help with: how do I get the trans. shifter handle off. The manual is clear enough about getting the consul out of the way after that. The rear hatch door hinges and opening levers are seized as well- but I am working penetrating oil in to loosen them up. The lock does still work. I am really looking forward to firing this thing up as it only has 160000 km on it and a near pristine body.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to be a bit of confusion here. Removing the console is required to gain access to the CDL/ HI-LOW shifter linkages but will not give you access to the tranny linkages. I know because my console is permanently removed.

There is an interlock solenoid on the side of the tranny shifter that can malfunction and give a problem like you describe. There was a recent thread regarding the steps necessary to both gain access and fix it as well.

Keep in mind there are three speaarate interlock solenoids. This is the one one the passenger's side of the tranny shifter trim ring. Not the one on the transfer case that prevents hi/low shifting. The third one is the one that prevents key removal.

Try the search function as all the details are there and I do not recall enough of the fix to direct you as well.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-17-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Rock Crawling

There's a solenoid for High/Low too?!?!? Is it looking for trans in neutral?

I can't move my hi/low shifter at all (forward and back) and assumed it was frozen but my transmission shifter is a little funky and the pointer isn't even close for the various positions.

Quick Reply: 1999 disco 1 project