Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1999 Disco I hard start and high idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
What is a TPS sensor?
Throttle Position Sensor sensor.....

Old 06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tofargone
I also threw a code. I ran the code and it said it was running rich.
What exactly was the code? PXXXX.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe one of the codes was P1138, but I am not sure I will have to scan again and see. I know that the code reader said running rich.

Last night I changed out the fuel filter, the one from the Cadilac fit great with a couple of clamps. The old one was filled with sedament on one side so I assume it sat for a while. Of course as soon as I repressurized the lines I sprung another leak so I had to cut that out and patch in. It ran great last night. This morning went to start it and it took a few tries to start ( better than before, but not right yet ) and the idle spiked up. Unfortunatly I didn't have a lot of time to let it run so I don't know if it would have kicked down.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Drifting

So I have the Ultragauge ( happy fathers day to me ) and hooked it up last night. I could already see that one of my O2 sensors was not working due to the voltage not moving with acceleration. It was mentioned the TPS might be bad. Is there a gauge on the UG that will show what the TPS is at and where it should be. Also does anyone have suggestions on O2 sensors. Everything I am finding is $100 per sensor. I think the last time I replaced on of these on my other cars it was $100 and that was having a dealer do the work.

This truck is great and I can't think of a better safer truck for my son to drive around since we are in Wisconsin in the country, but in my quest to make it run well and safe for him my wallet is going on life support.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Ntk sensors on amazon

What codes are there? If no o2 code I would not worry bout that for now, I noticed the ug can be slow and refreshes

Throttle sensor should be abs tp1% at idle should be 11 to 13.7 somewhere in there or close

The ug on the code screen will give 2 choices to read codes check both

My ug is set up with 6? Gauges temp, rpm,MPH,TPS, voltage, intake temp

Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tofargone
So I have the Ultragauge ( happy fathers day to me ) and hooked it up last night. I could already see that one of my O2 sensors was not working due to the voltage not moving with acceleration. It was mentioned the TPS might be bad. Is there a gauge on the UG that will show what the TPS is at and where it should be. Also does anyone have suggestions on O2 sensors. Everything I am finding is $100 per sensor. I think the last time I replaced on of these on my other cars it was $100 and that was having a dealer do the work.

This truck is great and I can't think of a better safer truck for my son to drive around since we are in Wisconsin in the country, but in my quest to make it run well and safe for him my wallet is going on life support.
Yes there is a gauge on the ultra gauge for tps readout. Mine sits at 12% at idle or coast with foot off the gas.

Also, if you can find the O2 sensors for $100 grab them, that is not a bad price. I found the cheapest price on amazon, about $110 each for the black connector non aels ones. If you have aels they are a lot cheaper for whatever reason. Do NOT get the super cheap universal ones, there are many siren songs on the interwebs claiming you can cut the connectors off the old ones and solder them on but it ain't so. Just another feature of owning a disco.

Have you investigated your iacv? Careful, and read up on it before you mess with it, if you move the plunger while cleaning it you will create a whole new mess to deal with. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Drifting

been a while since I looked at this, out of town and slammed at work. So the TP1% was at 19.5 and the idle is through the roof ( 2300 ) any ideas where the best place to get a new one? I also had to jump the truck and what was interesting is that it has always been a pig to start. 2 or 3 tries to get it going. I hooked it up to my Suburban to jump gave it a minute to charge and it fired first turn. Could my battery be to week to turn the starter, ( the starter sounds like crap so I am thinking that may be going also )

Thanks

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Drifting

So here is the next update in the saga. Replaced the TPS now sits at 11.5. Replaced the battery now the starter though sounds like crap fires the truck right up. Last night I removed the IACV took it apart, cleaned it out, cleaned out the throttle body, sprayed down all the throttle cables, put it back together and for one cycle of the motor including a short drive it ran like a champ. Idle at 700, smooth as butter, it was awesome. This morning fire it up, 2500RPMs, Drive it to work turn it off start it back up, 1600 RPMs. That's as good as it goes. I have a new IACV on its way, but any suggestions on what else to clean, fix or replace would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Camel Trophy

You'll have to have the adaptive registers reset in order to settle the idle down. Find an independent garage that can support LR vehicles and your golden.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Is you tps still at 11.5 or did it revert to a higher # again?

If tps is still low but idle is high then I think scouts is right needs a reset but do it after the new IACV is installed so it is sync

If TPS has jumped up you have a issue in that circuit or your gas pedal is sticking

Quick Reply: 1999 Disco I hard start and high idle