Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1999 Disco I hard start and high idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TPS is still low. I adjusted the cables a little since they didn't let the throttle back down all the way and it got me down to about 1300rpm at warm idle. I should have the IAC on Saturday and will get it installed and see what happens. I don't know of any local shops that work on LR, but if the idle doesn't adjust down I will have to start looking. I take it no one has found a way to do a hard reboot of the system to the factory settings without going in and having it done. I hate paying someone to work on my cars.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Location?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Drifting

I'm Just south of Madison Wisconsin.

I changed out the IACV, it's the same issue. I think it must be the computer because I can trick it by unplugging the iacv when its at the right idle, otherwise when I turn it off and back on the idle shoots back up and I have to remove it get the plunger to extend, put it back on and trick it again. It wants to shoot to 2500 and it gets down to 16-1800 when warm. When I tricked it, it ran great, but starts back up like crap when cold.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Ecm reset is needed IMO

If you cannot find someone to reset it iirc Paul grant or one of the other parts guys can reset and mail it back?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Does anybody know any independent shops in the Madison Wisconsin area? I just talked to the dealer and they can do it for $120. I do have to say it was kind of reassuring though when the guy I talked to had an English accent, you would hope he knows these trucks.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Drifting

So took it to the Dealer $125 to reset the ECM, they are telling me that's not the issue. So paying another $125 to diagnose. This is going to be a one shot deal. If its easy I fix it, if not I drive it off a cliff and buy a Chevy.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by tofargone
So took it to the Dealer $125 to reset the ECM, they are telling me that's not the issue. So paying another $125 to diagnose. This is going to be a one shot deal. If its easy I fix it, if not I drive it off a cliff and buy a Chevy.
So they reset the ECU and it wasn't the issue and they still charged you? What a crock. They should roll tat $125 into whatever repair is actually needed. Especially since resetting the ECU takes about 5 minutes and involves no wrenches.
Even if they can diagnose it you won't be walking out of there with a bill that isn't more than what the truck is worth.

Mad City Rovers used to be an Indie shop in Madison. Clint Paul was the guy's name.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Luckily they only charged me 120 total. They moved the TPS ( it helped with the smoothness, but the idle is still messed up) drove it from the shop to work Idle at 1600. Shut it off turned it back on idle 800. They did tell me that the PCV hose is cracked. They also found the code for the radio. Punched in the code radio turns on.........no sound from the speakers. I am assuming the issue is at the amps, so I am hoping a fuse, but with my luck prob not. Going to replace the PCV and PCV hose. The idle is just odd. When its cold its crap and it stays crap till you shut it off and start it back up. Its like the IACV doesn't adjust while its running only after its been shut off. I don't know I'll replace a few more parts before I drive it off a cliff. I guess this is what I get for a $1500 truck.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Drifting

1 more thing maybe someone can fill me in on. On my service ticket it says. 119575 ecm is not programmable. scanned for codes and found throttle code, reset TP sensor. I thought these things could be reset.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The ECM itself is not reprogrammed or reset, but the ECM's "adaptive values" are. I hope they didn't just pull the OBDII codes, reset them, and call that an ECM "reset".

Quick Reply: 1999 Disco I hard start and high idle