Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 disco fuel pump - multi plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 disco fuel pump - multi plug

Truck has died a couple of times now,fuel pump isn't running, I have 12v at the plug when key goes to pos II and I can run the pump when I run power to it from another battery so it has to be the connection of the multi plug to the pump, right? or should I be looking for some other land rover specific problem

Thanks Mike

Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Instead of reading the 12 volt at the plug with just a meter, which draws a very small microamp to make the reading, try using something that draws more, like a tail light bulb, and measure the 12 volts across the bulb. Then you can be sure that you have volts and amps at the connection point. As an example, a bad ground wire would increase the resistance and the pump could not draw enough current to run, even though the meter with just the connector could show 12 volts with "no load". There is a connector under the driver side rear wheel well that impacts the pump.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-07-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Mudding

Look on the chassis right at the fuel tank and the left hand rear wheel.

Pull this connector apart and LOOK AT IT!!

The outside could be fine - but this is what you may find inside.

TRUST ME!!!

95 disco fuel pump - multi plug-new-bitmap-image.jpg

Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Lol!!!....

Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Lol!!!....

at what?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Camel Trophy

.....at JC's post.

You might want to heed his "trusted" advice. I've seen it many many times.

So what are you waiting for? Go look.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling

yea I had already looked at all the connetions and tested them, I am pretty sure I just have corrision in the plug, I was able to clear up the problem (I thought) by cleaning the connection with electrical contact cleaner last week but it has come back, so I guess I was wondering if others have had a problem with the multi plug at the fuel pump or if it could be something else putting to much load on the system so that under load there is not enough amps to run the pump or what? Ihscout you've given the best advise yet with a link to rave so help me out again - you've got an idea on what to try

Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Camel Trophy

So you found the next multi-plug that JC is talking about and checked it? It's like a short distance away from the pump's multi-plug maybe a couple of feet away above the muffler pipe to resonator. C407 is the connector ID. Follow the wires from the pump's plug and you'll be there. My best tools with Rover's lousy non-waterproof multi-plugs are a dental pick and dielectric grease or WD40 whichever I have nearby at the time. Have you checked the pumps Amps with the other battery running it? Contrary to my previous post it does use a 15A fuse....so it will pull some amps and hence when you overheat corroded pin connectors they arc.

Besides the C407 connector, the pumps C434 connector my next bet would be the multifunction unit which is the black wedge shaped plastic box on the passenger side inner fender by the charcoal can. The cover comes off and you can see the coil and contacts and they're usually pitted and carbon covered. That would be the next object to check. Inertial switch is my last shot and it's usually in pretty good shape connector wise but it never hurts to check it. Dielectric grease connectors as you go through them.