Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 disco transfer case mod.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 disco transfer case mod.

I want to lock transfer case into high gear and lock the diff lock lever into open.Removing both levers from the vehicle completely.Also removing solenoid from transfer case and putting steel cap over hole to keep foreign material out.

Is there any problem with me doing this?I use my land rover on and off road,I have never shifted it into low or diff lock.I have to replace transfer case because i didn't put oil in it and it broke gears,

Also can someone post a pic of the transfer case itself in high gear so i can make sure the lever less system is in high gear?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Whats the benefit of removing the solenoid if you also remove the shift linkage?

Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Huh? There is only one lever for both Hi/Lo and Diff Lock. So there would be only one lever to remove. That said, removing the lever seems like more work than it's worth.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by robertf
Whats the benefit of removing the solenoid if you also remove the shift linkage?
Just to get it stripped and to the basics,no other reason.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by fishEH
Huh? There is only one lever for both Hi/Lo and Diff Lock. So there would be only one lever to remove. That said, removing the lever seems like more work than it's worth.
sorry but this 95 disco has 2 levers 1 for hi low and 1 for diff lock/unlock.and the solenoid is to keep you from accidentally shifting into low to high of speeds.also to the more work than if i take the levers off i can trash the broken shifter.and then its out of the way also.

Last edited by shawnsutton; 04-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnsutton
sorry but this 95 disco has 2 levers 1 for hi low and 1 for diff lock/unlock.and the solenoid is to keep you from accidentally shifting into low to high of speeds.also to the more work than if i take the levers off i can trash the broken shifter.and then its out of the way also.
Needs a picture to see this.

95 D1 runs an LT230 transfercase which uses a single in cab lever to switch ratio and engage diff locking, it's mechanical entirely so unless you have an alternative transfercase then you should have gear shifter and ratio/diff lock lever.

If you want to remove the lever from the cab then remove the centre console, remove the shifter diaphragm from the tunnel, unbolt the lever, leave the mechanisms in place and refit the rest and cover over the holes left behind, at least subsequent owners will be able to revert to standard at a later date should they wish.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

THE TRANSFER CASE HAS TWO LEVERS. THE VEHICLE HAS 1 SHIFTER BUT THE T CASE HAS 2 L E V E R S. re read my post i was as specific as a person can possibly get.

Last edited by shawnsutton; 04-06-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Camel Trophy

THE TRANSFER CASE HAS TWO LEVERS. THE VEHICLE HAS 1 SHIFTER BUT THE T CASE HAS 2 L E V E R S. re read my post i was as specific as a person can possibly get.
Post a pic. This is weird. You either aren't describing it correctly or the previous owner performed some major butchery.
A stock D1 has two linkages operated by a single lever.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:14 PM
Overlanding

wow that looks exactly like the SHIFTER i wonder why it has 2 linkages on it.OH WAIT THAT'S BECAUSE THERE IS 2 LEVERS ON THE TRANSFER CASE.You have not helped in this thread at all and i wish you would find another thread to jack.I didnt ask for a pic of the shifter i asked about the transfer case.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Camel Trophy

You're an idiot that doesn't know how to speak properly. You said levers. Myself, along with everyone else that has responded to this stupid thread, thought you meant the shifter inside the vehicle. We thought this because you did a **** poor job of describing what you meant. When you said LEVERS, you actually meant LINKAGES. Knowing how concisely convey your thoughts will take you far and is a skill I highly suggest you work on.
In the meantime, good luck with your pointless project.
And nice job acting like a complete tool in your first full week on this board.

wow that looks exactly like the SHIFTER i wonder why it has 2 linkages on it.OH WAIT THAT'S BECAUSE THERE IS 2 LEVERS ON THE TRANSFER CASE.You have not helped in this thread at all and i wish you would find another thread to jack.I didnt ask for a pic of the shifter i asked about the transfer case.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (04-06-2019)

Quick Reply: 95 disco transfer case mod.