Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco Confusion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Every one.. I Apolligize if I am stepping on any toes here. Am kinda new here. I have a 1996 LRDisco. Tampa Florida
New batt, alt,fan,fan clutch,thermo and fresh oil change and coolant. My dash is lit up like a Christmas tree.
Batt light - on but off from time to time. Found batt to be pumping out some fluid and very warm.
Oil light - Oil level is fine.
SRS light - on but blinks from time to time.
Anti Lock - on and brakes work fine.
Check engine light - on but this is a new one.

All of this is after a 50mile run over 2 days. I do property maintenance and have to go from place to place. Any ideas? I am more concerned about the batt. I do not want to get stranded with a bunch of tool in truck.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NU2LRownership2012
Hello Every one.. I Apolligize if I am stepping on any toes here. Am kinda new here. I have a 1996 LRDisco. Tampa Florida
New batt, alt,fan,fan clutch,thermo and fresh oil change and coolant. My dash is lit up like a Christmas tree.
Batt light - on but off from time to time. Found batt to be pumping out some fluid and very warm.
Oil light - Oil level is fine.
SRS light - on but blinks from time to time.
Anti Lock - on and brakes work fine.
Check engine light - on but this is a new one.

All of this is after a 50mile run over 2 days. I do property maintenance and have to go from place to place. Any ideas? I am more concerned about the batt. I do not want to get stranded with a bunch of tool in truck.
You should probably go to the "Discovery I" section on the main page and click the "new thread" button to the left just above the forums list. That being said, can you borrow a code scanner and see what trouble codes your computer has? That will tell you a lot more than just the warning lights.
Oh, and if your "new" battery is pumping out fluid... that's a problem

Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the wiring at the IAC, perhaps you have a broken wire causing the IAC to close and shut the engine down. With the truck running wiggle the wires, if it stumbles or cuts out keep playing with it until you can pinpoint the break.

NU2LRownership2012,
Stop running that truck. The battery is overcharging, which is why it's losing fluid. The reason the SRS light is coming on is the SRS ECU is reading low voltage. It throws the light on to indicate there isn't enough voltage to fire the airbags. You need to find out what is going on with the charging system asap.
Oil light on? You best stop running it until you can get an oil pressure test done on it or risk destroying the engine.
ABS light, deal with it later. You have bigger fish to fry right now.
Start your own thread too, makes it easier to keep tabs on progress.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Do not crank truck again. The following assumes you have no volt meter or are unfamiliar with their use.

Alternator is putting out overvolts and is trying to cook the battery and the electronics modules. It is putting out high voltage (greater than 14.4 volts) and is causing lots if things to go into over-voltage protection. Some things monitor both high and low input volts. You may also have blown some fuses and/or fuse links (bolt in fuses).

Disconnect battery. Don't skip this step.

Remove largest wire from back of alternator and tape up so wire can not short to ground.

Reconnect battery.

Turn key to position 2, but do not crank. Write down (this is one of those times you can't trust your memory) all the dash symbols lit up. Some will go out after 3 seconds. Crank truck and just idle.

If oil light does not go out in 5 seconds turn off truck.

Battery light might stay on, but that is not the worry. The oil light is the worry.

If lights go out, other than battery and check engine, you may be able to drive truck for short distance (15 - 20 minutes) on the "reserve" capacity of the battery.

You'll need to take the alternator off and return it to point of purchase for a replacement. Be sure to check you serpantine belt route per ones in the RAVE or our tech section.

I'd guess you bought this alternator remanufactured at a parts store. Please name names. If it was a used alternator, a good idea is to have it tested at a parts store that bench tests them.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-28-2013 at 07:10 AM.