Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 Discovery SD daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it sounds a bit crazy!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

That fact that you fell in love with it says you may just acquire mad skills while stroking the big sexy, just depends on how bad you want it. (Without getting on the national sex offender registry.)

Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Overlanding

Actually, I wanted a FJ Cruiser but the prices are out of sight, so I started looking at the Discovery more closely and since I see it every day, I started researching it. From what I've gathered, it's a very capable car off road with possibly a lot of issues and, no, I don't intend to do any major off roading but just like knowing that it wouldn't get stuck if I took it on remote roads.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Any Toy is over priced, like a Ferrari without valve lash adjustments. With a Rover you have to be very dedicated and I mean VERY.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Sad but true...………….

Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 PM
Overlanding

I get the message, Spanky!

Old 03-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerelee
Actually, I wanted a FJ Cruiser but the prices are out of sight, so I started looking at the Discovery more closely and since I see it every day, I started researching it. From what I've gathered, it's a very capable car off road with possibly a lot of issues and, no, I don't intend to do any major off roading but just like knowing that it wouldn't get stuck if I took it on remote roads.
Don't do it. From the issues you describe, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for that truck, especially because it has been sitting, meaning there are things that have happened due to disuse which the owner probably doesn't even know about. Someone else mentioned that there are known issues and unknown issues. I'd take it a step further, each of these being a subgroup of the previous one:

1) The actual issues the car has
2) The issues that existed before the car sat for (?) long
3) The issues the owner knows about
4) The issues the owner tells you about

Speaking as hypocritically as I possibly can, don't do it. If you're not going to do serious off-roading, a Honda Civic will get you from one end of a dirt road to the other end. If you haven't worked extensively on cars in the past, there are things wrong with that truck that you can't even imagine. Things are broken and worn out that you don't even know exist, and all of those will be things to fix especially for a daily driver. I know this may sound condescending but I'm speaking from experience. There were things wrong with my first Disco that I didn't even know could go wrong, and unless you're a mechanic by trade or have an unhealthy obsession with old 4x4s (most people on here), you're going to be in the same boat.

Land Rovers are an addiction and once you're in the game, it seems you're in it for life. If you can bear to buy a semi-capable 4x4 and just admire Land Rovers from afar, do it. I wish I had.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:46 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by vanbadri
Don't do it. From the issues you describe, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for that truck, especially because it has been sitting, meaning there are things that have happened due to disuse which the owner probably doesn't even know about. Someone else mentioned that there are known issues and unknown issues. I'd take it a step further, each of these being a subgroup of the previous one:

1) The actual issues the car has
2) The issues that existed before the car sat for (?) long
3) The issues the owner knows about
4) The issues the owner tells you about

Speaking as hypocritically as I possibly can, don't do it. If you're not going to do serious off-roading, a Honda Civic will get you from one end of a dirt road to the other end. If you haven't worked extensively on cars in the past, there are things wrong with that truck that you can't even imagine. Things are broken and worn out that you don't even know exist, and all of those will be things to fix especially for a daily driver. I know this may sound condescending but I'm speaking from experience. There were things wrong with my first Disco that I didn't even know could go wrong, and unless you're a mechanic by trade or have an unhealthy obsession with old 4x4s (most people on here), you're going to be in the same boat.

Land Rovers are an addiction and once you're in the game, it seems you're in it for life. If you can bear to buy a semi-capable 4x4 and just admire Land Rovers from afar, do it. I wish I had.
Well, it seems the majority advise against it, One thing I haven't yet said, was the guy said his father would fix whatever is broken ......BUT, after hearing everyone's advice, it still sounds like a nightmare waiting to invade my dreams. The biggest problem I have is that I see it sitting there every day and it LOOKS good, then again, a LOT of 23 year olds look good!!! LOL

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I certainly don't want to buy it and regret it for as long as I own it.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I drive a 5 speed every day, and have done since 2016.

It is actually for sale. And not trashed.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy

I pass by a deep red 98 Disco twice a day. It's the most perfect Disco I've seen, it's from Northern California. After six years of passing by it I just met the owner at a gas station we both where at. We talked for over an hour and he allowed me to look it over. He has taken exceptional care of it inside and out and had over $10K into keeping it looking and running perfect because like you he is not mechanically inclined. Only once had it rained on his day, the starter quit. So you and I have something in common, we have an eye for the unusual and the exceptional. If the sellers Father is onboard with helping to get it going then I'd say give it a try, what do you have to loose? Just one thing, when and if it works out that he can fix it keep a second car around until your positive its time to drop down to the Disco. You have this forum to back you up.

Quick Reply: '96 Discovery SD daily driver?