Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 Discovery SD daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

leak does look like the power steering, but it could be the jack, or sometimes owners store oil or other fluids by the jack which could be the leak too.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimvw57
leak does look like the power steering, but it could be the jack, or sometimes owners store oil or other fluids by the jack which could be the leak too.
The leak looks to be right under the power steering fluid reservoir, there's even some on the bumper right below it but that's the only leak that we saw yesterday.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri
Okay so in fairness I got wrapped up in my philosiphizing and forgot that you mentioned it has 49,000 miles on it. Keeping mind everything I said above, if I were you, I'd buy it. Especially if it's a five-speed. They're extremely rare and the low mileage means there are certain things we're all used to dealing with on high mileage Discos that you won't have to worry about for years to come. Now of course there are other things that you'll have to worry about due to the fact that it's been sitting, but it's not like a total engine rebuild is coming down the pipeline in a few thousand miles. I'm not entirely sure how the R380 is designed but the clutch going to the floor is most likley a bad slave cylinder. Easy peasy. The engine-bay does look unmolested, which is very good, however a puddle on the ground in that area could also easily be the transmission cooler pipe unions going into the radiator leaking, meaning the trans may be low on fluid...

If I were you I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm mechanically inclined and now have a wealth of experience on rovers. If you can plan to work on it yourself, do it. Discovery 1's are fairly easy to work on and it could be a good introduction for a budding backyard mechanic (LOTS of things to fix ). If you're going to take it to a shop and ask "how much to fix everything," your mechanic is going to get Mr. Krabs dollar-sign-eyes and you'll need to sell your organs to pay the bill.
I agree with you. The driveline is the costliest part and the mileage being so low sounds great for his case. However if the trans lines are the leak source, it could mean the PO drove it low on fluid and this is easy way to bork the unit.

OP if buying this one crawl under the car with a T55 torx bit (filler plug) and check the trans. The R380 should be overfilled to slightly above the plug line so fluid should pour out when you remove the plug (not in a messy oil change way but more of an overfilled diff way). Minimum it should be very close to the fill plug level. I have personally seen a unit survive very hard use with a quart low on fluid but it will not sound like a happy box and will eventually need a rebuild, months.... years maybe away. If the trans pipes are the leak you can even remove the cooler plates and install a factory blanking plate (defender for instance did not get a trans cooler and for the most part does fine without), if you don't want to fix $$$ immediately. That cooler plate is actually very rare if you wanted to sell it as well, total NLA item.

No the clutch pedal should not be to the floor but a replacement master and slave cylinders should fix the issue.

Check fluids on all the driveline. If buying replace all possible fluids after purchase.

Honestly the stuff I hated, do hate about fixing the NAS disco specifically is the engine. The power steering pump, various things like distributor, alternator, etc. are extremely expensive even compared to getting diesel parts for ROW land rovers. I still got a 5 speed d1 for sale fyi. Best of luck

Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my two cents but listen to all the old timers here. They all have the knowledge and experience you don’t at this point. It really comes down to dollars and time. If you want the D1 for a DD then what will you drive until this one is up and running?

For me i I had to give up dual sport adventure bikes due to a back injury. Now I have my D1 project to keep me off roading. Just think about it and dive in if you can afford it. At 49K miles, if you got it super cheap you could part it out and double your money or you could get started on a really satisfying and fun adventure. Cheers good luck 🍀👍

Old 03-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
Honestly the stuff I hated, do hate about fixing the NAS disco specifically is the engine......
This is a pain in the *****;

It belongs to this; (Which incidentally is UK made = Known as a "David Brown" throughout Europe.)

It took me three full eight hour days of stripping the tractor and motor down just to pull the head off the block. A Rover engine is a vacation by comparison. Also I want to mention having a Service Manual is very useful....... the reason the head had to be pulled was obviously because it wasted a good head gasket - 40 second run with engine cold pressurized the cooling system. While looking over the manual I noticed there are two studs missing from the block and the gasket fire ring let go right near a bolt that was used instead of a stud. The importance of a stud is that it uses course thread inserted into the block and then torqued and fine thread for the compressing nut. Ever try to apply an accurate torque reading through a course threaded bolt? Chunky. (This motor was rebuilt by a Pro Tractor shop nine years ago....not so Pro in my mind.) So if the OP chooses to buy the 96 SD 5 speed I highly recommend we offer the Rave (Land Rover Service Manual) for their perusal.......to familiarize themselves pre purchase and hopefully post purchase. Thanks to Walt for the working link! https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kdYbGgyWF9odlU

Old 09-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did we ever figure out what happened with this unicorn 49,000 mile 5-speed sd truck? I’m guessing intrepid OP passed, that means someone here may have lucked out?