Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 Discovery SD daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri
.....Land Rovers are an addiction and once you're in the game, it seems you're in it for life.....
I don't agree. There are very, very, very few still here from when I started visiting this site back in 08. I can think of maybe 8 members from way back who still own Rovers. I'm not one of them. Owning, wrenching, driving is a passion not an addiction. Nobody I know does this at all cost.......

Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I paid $300 for mine with the steering taken part, I had to tow it home. Long story short, it was about $1200 to get it to be driven safely and somewhat reliably and meet the smog requirements in CA. Then I paid another at least $1k for parts and pieces that added up quick like door handles, lights, switches, trim pieces, seat covers, caps, filters and God knows what else. And then my personal favorite. The Engine rebuild about a year after getting it. Yes the machinist I used kind of sucked and I wouldn't go back to him but even with me actually dismantling and putting the motor back together plus the removal and installation being done by me it was still about $2000-2500 for all the parts and machining labor. Mine is a daily driver but even only having it for I think 2 years now (3?) I have put many, many, many hours into labor, research and trial and I am still not done. I admit that selling the old girl comes up in my head often until I take it out into the boonies or am plowing through the snow in it.

In short I advise against it, it will cost you a lot of money even if you were mechanically inclined, but paying someone to work on it? Forget about it!

Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 AM
TReK
Received 432 Likes on 360 Posts

If you are not mechanically inclined it would be very tough to keep a 23 year old D1 on the road without paying a shop more than the truck is worth. Labor rates are labor rates and they don't care if you drive a $20k Nissan or a $1k Land Rover. And the Land Rover WILL need work. Anything that is 23 years old will need work.

For a DIYer they are great trucks. They are expensive otherwise.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I don't agree. There are very, very, very few still here from when I started visiting this site back in 08. I can think of maybe 8 members from way back who still own Rovers. I'm not one of them. Owning, wrenching, driving is a passion not an addiction. Nobody I know does this at all cost.......
i'm going to go out on a limb here, but i think that maybe, just maybe, he was being hyperbolic about Land Rover Discovery owners and making a joke about all of us.

The following users liked this post:
Nigelw (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerelee
Well, it seems the majority advise against it

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I certainly don't want to buy it and regret it for as long as I own it.
Take a look at my blog in my siggy, I'm $$$$$ into my build and it's not yet finished and never really will be.

Why would you regret it? Just think about the fun you can have in it and the bond you can make with an inanimate object LOLZ I have had some horrific lows during my build but also some of the best days out in my life off roading with friends.

I see all the negative comments and often wonder why they are not encouraging you to get on and make a go of it?

Gerelee (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nigelw
Take a look at my blog in my siggy, I'm $$$$$ into my build and it's not yet finished and never really will be.

Why would you regret it? Just think about the fun you can have in it and the bond you can make with an inanimate object LOLZ I have had some horrific lows during my build but also some of the best days out in my life off roading with friends.

I see all the negative comments and often wonder why they are not encouraging you to get on and make a go of it?
I would only regret it if it broke .... a lot .... or even a little, since it would be my only vehicle. I agree that it could be a lot of fun, which is why I'm even considering the car but I can't afford to have it not working, more than working ....... and yes, I still am considering it though I haven't talked to the guy that is selling it in a while.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerelee
I would only regret it if it broke .... a lot .... or even a little, since it would be my only vehicle. I agree that it could be a lot of fun, which is why I'm even considering the car but I can't afford to have it not working, more than working ....... and yes, I still am considering it though I haven't talked to the guy that is selling it in a while.
Basically it all comes down to maintenance, it'll take a little time and cash to get it on the road but once it's running nice then all you need to do is keep on top of routine maintenance like greasing props, regular oil changes, plugs leads and caps will see 95% of the problems disappear.

I know you can't account for breakdowns but so long as you are keen on looking over your truck and fixing small problems then they never turn into big ones.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Overlanding

Thank you, it's nice to hear some encouraging words though I'm sure the discouraging comments are just making sure that I don't go in with my eyes wide shut!

Old 03-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Nigelw

Wow, yours really is/was a project! The one I'm considering LOOKS to be in very good shape though looks can be deceiving.

Nigelw (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Winching
Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I've said it before and still stand behind it, A proper gentleman does not depend on a Rover alone.

My venture into Rover ownership ('97 D1) was not entirely voluntary.
Drinking buddy to my left: "Ya know anyone who wants a Land Rover"
Me: "No. What year?"
DB: "97 Disco"
Me: "Disco?"
DB: "Discovery. I need to get rid of it 'cause I can't take it to the apartments on the arsenal."
Me: "What's wrong with it?"
DB: "Not much, it was running when I parked it in the garage two or so years ago"
Me: "'Fraid I don't know of anyone. I'll ask around. How much are you asking?"
DB: "Nothing, they just need to tow it out of my garage by the end of the month"
Me: "Ok, like I said, I'll ask....."
Me Wife to my right: "We'll take it!"
Me: "Wait, what? We don't need another car, especially one that doesn't...."
Wife: "We'll take it."
DB: "Great!! You're really helping me out. Just let me know when you can come..."
Wife: "How does tomorrow sound?"
DB: "Perfect"
Me: "......Jack, please......"

It is my daily driver. Again.

Quick Reply: '96 Discovery SD daily driver?