Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 Initial Assesment

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the board! Congrats on the '96 Disco! I have an SE in black. You gotta lotta work to do, but you'll have some fun sheddin' tears, skin and blood. Good luck and see ya 'round.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM
4wd Low

My ultra-gauge arrived yesterday. I pulled up the trouble codes and found 6

P0116 Falling Temperature
P0326 Continuous Knock, Bank A
P0300 Misfire, Multiple Cylinders
P0305 Misfire, Cylinder 5
P1316 Excessive Emissions Misfire
P1314 Catalyst Damage, Bank B

Any insight into these error codes? I read the GEMS OBD manual, and searched around the forums a little too.

I'm still in the process of collecting all the needed materials and parts for the high mileage service.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Mudding

miss fires are simple fixes. if it has been sitting for a period of time its just a simple tune up will fix it. Make sure when you do a full tune up get Copper core plugs. do NOT get autolights they are worthless. i run NGK plugs and work great. i also run oem stander 7mm wires. you also may have a coil pack going out. easiest way to test it is to pull each wire out while running and hold it close to the hole. it should come out and ark to the wire. if the spark doesn't come out and ark to the wire you have a failing coil pack ( that is how i found my bad coil pack ). also there is a massive debate on running K&N filters in the truck. it really doesn't give it any major improvements but i still run it because i can clean it and it pays for itself after a few oil changes.

as for the cat there are debates on being able to be cleaned. if your truck has been running rich, which it sounds like. you may have the chance that it is just clogged and have some carbon and fuel build up on it. i have cleaned mine out and my code went away and hasn't come back yet. i know my cat is failing and will need to be replaced. but it did pass smog and thats good enough for me. all you do is cut it off if you have the tools to put it back on. but just fill up a 5 gal bucket of hot water and laundry soap. throw your cat in it over night to let it break down the carbon. ( cats are just precious metals so soapy hot water will not hurt it ) once it is done in the hot water just take some compressed air and blow it out the way it came in. you will see a massive improvement if the cat is just clogged. weld it back up and the code should clear itself.