Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 discovery as mud truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's gives me a little faith in a discovery. I think I might give this a try....=|

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven mine through icy slush 2-3 feet deep multiple times, and mud occasionally. I wade through deep water that may or may not have mud at the bottom, but I'm not really bogging. I've driven through deep silt beds and up some of the largest sand dunes in North America. Oh and I've pulled out plenty of stuck Jeeps. This is pretty close to stock also - 2" lift, 235/85s, no lockers. Very minor trimming. These are very worthy off-road, but you have to think differently than you would in a Bronco on 44s.

In my experience, if you maintain it well and drive like a sensible human being (e.g. let the Rover do it's thing, don't show off) you'll be fine. Just take the obstacles as they come on the the trail and imagine you're on a safari (which is not hard to picture most of the time).

Best wishes with the adventure. Just ask plenty of questions about what needs to be upgraded and we will try to help. Plan out your costs carefully - $1200 or so per differential will get you full-carrier lockers and gears, assuming you don't save a bit by setting them up yourself. You'll need upgraded axles, a lift, and your choice of tires. 235/85 and 255/85 are very good on these. Most likely you'll need upgraded driveshafts as well, and buy yourself a pressure washer. You'll learn all about the mud traps these have in the frame, but they aren't too hard to clean out if you know where to find the mud.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
4wd Low

0,o maybe a good ole bronco for a mud truck....

Don't ruin a work of engineering by making it into a mud truck =D

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I've driven mine through icy slush 2-3 feet deep multiple times, and mud occasionally. I wade through deep water that may or may not have mud at the bottom, but I'm not really bogging. I've driven through deep silt beds and up some of the largest sand dunes in North America. Oh and I've pulled out plenty of stuck Jeeps. This is pretty close to stock also - 2" lift, 235/85s, no lockers. Very minor trimming. These are very worthy off-road, but you have to think differently than you would in a Bronco on 44s.

In my experience, if you maintain it well and drive like a sensible human being (e.g. let the Rover do it's thing, don't show off) you'll be fine. Just take the obstacles as they come on the the trail and imagine you're on a safari (which is not hard to picture most of the time).

Best wishes with the adventure. Just ask plenty of questions about what needs to be upgraded and we will try to help. Plan out your costs carefully - $1200 or so per differential will get you full-carrier lockers and gears, assuming you don't save a bit by setting them up yourself. You'll need upgraded axles, a lift, and your choice of tires. 235/85 and 255/85 are very good on these. Most likely you'll need upgraded driveshafts as well, and buy yourself a pressure washer. You'll learn all about the mud traps these have in the frame, but they aren't too hard to clean out if you know where to find the mud.

ASHCROFT ASHCROFT ASHCROFT..

If you are serious about this thats all you need to know. Oh and have a load of savings stashed.

Ashcroft 4.75 gears
Ashcroft air lockers front and rear.. or just front and Detroit in the rear (I'll probably switch to Ashcroft in front soon)
Ashcroft axles front and rear and cv's
2-3" Rovertym springs and since it's a mud truck you dont have to worry about long travel shocks etc for articulation
33-35 super swampers "skinny" boggers are my fav look which are 10.50
Tom woods for drive shafts
A snorkel if you're gonna go into mud/water that goes over your hood like I do it eats engines!

And you will likely be in a better place than a lot of the broncos/blazers and be able to pull out f150s no problem

and the guy who wrote about not using a disco in the mud cause it's a piece of engineering??? You need to watch some camel trophy and watch what they do in the mud with unlocked trucks on 32s

Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
ASHCROFT ASHCROFT ASHCROFT..

If you are serious about this thats all you need to know. Oh and have a load of savings stashed.

Ashcroft 4.75 gears
Ashcroft air lockers front and rear.. or just front and Detroit in the rear (I'll probably switch to Ashcroft in front soon)
Ashcroft axles front and rear and cv's
2-3" Rovertym springs and since it's a mud truck you dont have to worry about long travel shocks etc for articulation
33-35 super swampers "skinny" boggers are my fav look which are 10.50
Tom woods for drive shafts
A snorkel if you're gonna go into mud/water that goes over your hood like I do it eats engines!

And you will likely be in a better place than a lot of the broncos/blazers and be able to pull out f150s no problem

and the guy who wrote about not using a disco in the mud cause it's a piece of engineering??? You need to watch some camel trophy and watch what they do in the mud with unlocked trucks on 32s
I don't wanna get into a fight or anything but I didn't mean don't use it it in the mud I just mean't don't lift it to the point where its useless unless in the mud.