Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'98 Disco I - Good but economic fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I needed the entire assembly...not just the pump. The new ones are all around $350.00 so I thought it was a good choice. I bought it from a credible source that others who received parts from were happy with.

Hopefully I didn't make a poor choice, but we'll see!

PS: I was original told that the entire Premium brand Fuel Pump was $995.00 for part, install and tax...so I'm assuming they meant the entire assembly.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Overlanding

EDIT: Just checked that RockAuto site and the fuel pump there is $577.00... also saw that 46 dollar fuel pump. Perhaps I need to know what exactly a "fuel pump" is because I'm assuming the more expensive ones are with the assembly, which I believe I need. The ones that are just a fuel pump look pretty small and flimsy, what am I missing here?

I payed $150.00 for a used assembly that apparently has a very new fuel pump in it. The source I bought it from is pretty reliable according to his other dealings with users on the forum I found him in. If this doesn't pan out then I guess I'm out $150.00 and I'll need to shell out $400.00 + for a new assembly.

Right now I think it's worth the risk as my budget is rather tight.

Last edited by Jaace; 09-27-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Found the other fuel pumps talked about, but still confused on the large price discrepancy.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't know where you're located but $150 for a used pump is pretty high. Afterall, you're getting a unit that is at least ten years old, possibly older still.

I don't like to sell fuel pumps (although I have plenty here in stock) for two reasons. The first is, just as Mike said, you're likely buying a pump that has only a little more life left in it that the one you're replacing.

The other reason is the risk factor with shippers. An associate I know sold a fuel pump to a customer in a hurry. It was sent by air. It leaked a trace amount of fuel that was detected in transit. He was fined almost $10K for shipping hazardous material. If you doubt me, just go to Dweb and do a search.

I have inventory for local customers who cannot be bothered with buying a new assembly or replacing the pump with a new unit. I sell the pump assemblies I have for $75 and I only sell them if they (by virtue of the condition of their lines) look newer than the age of the truck.

My 2 cents.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the reply Paul! I completely understand... I didn't want to buy a used pump assembly but there were a number of factors that made me do so. Firstly was the cost...because when I looked at the other new fuel pump assemblies they were more than double the cost of the used one.

The other issue is that I was concerned about compatibility: I did hours of research on what to get last night and had certain people tell me fuel pumps would work, while others said those same pumps were no good. I am not sure who to believe anymore...but the fuel pump I did purchase came out of a truck the exact model and year as my own.

You have entire assemblies for sale that fit '98 Disco I for only $75.00? That's the cheapest I've heard about. If this purchase I made doesn't work out for some reason...or I need to come back here because it goes on me, I'll be trying to contact you.

I wouldn't normally buy a used item but money is a little tight...so even if this thing only lasts me a year, I'll have more to buy a new pump after that. There were other things wrong with my truck that I needed to get fixed and I was already looking at a large bill.

I live in MA so I could possibly make the trip down to Connecticut and buy from your local inventory if/when my pump goes on me.

Thanks again for your reply! I appreciate all of them and and taking everyone's opinions into account...though I've already ordered the used part so no going back now.

Last edited by Jaace; 09-27-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

There are only two fuel pumps for the US DI. The early Non AES model which is also compatible with late model Range Rover Classics. The AES models had an entirely different assembly. It's a shame that you were getting such conflicting stories about what pump would work with your truck but, hey, everybody's an expert!

Anyway, good luck with your purchase and with your Rover. In the future, if you need something please give me a call or send me an email. I have thousands of parts for DI's and try to be as reasonable as I can with the prices.

To quote Robert DeNiro from the movie Brazil, 'we're all in it together."

Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Overlanding

I agree with the guys above. The auto part stores and garages want you to buy a $600 to $700 part (fuel pump, sending unit, and housing). Buy a universal pump for around $50 bucks and change it out yourself. It's actually very simple as the Disco I has a access hatch in the center of the cargo area (just under the carpet). From there, you can easily remove the fuel pump housing and change out just the pump itself. No need to replace the sending unit, housing, and everything else that's not broken. I went with a high flow pump and it's worked fine for the last 2 years not to mention its no louder than the original. Definitely the the way to go...will save you serious $$$.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Overlanding

Thank you so much Paul! I will certainly contact you in the future, since there will always be something wrong with the Land Rover. I've only had it for a little over a year and needed to fix the front brakes, wheel bearings, shift cable snapped, rear brakes and now this fuel pump. I'm sure something else will go on it a few months after this is fixed...but such is the fate of Land Rover owners.

Thanks again

Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Overlanding

Hi Kandow,

I'm actually a little wary of doing these fixes now...I was replacing my shift cable that someone from this forum so graciously sold to me to replace my own. Anyway, I got the whole center console apart but then couldn't get the bolts out for two places that attached the cable (the underside of my Disco is a little rusty, to say the least).

I had to bring it in and have a mechanic with proper tools do that replacement for me. Luckily they don't mind at all when I get my own parts for the car...so that's a viable option for me in the future.

The fuel pump replacement sounds easy enough...but again, I'm a little cautious about DIYs beyond very very basic things right now. Also don't have too much time to tinker around with the car at the moment and letting it sit there is terrible for it.

I will consider fixes again in the future but right now, I just want my car to run instead of having a 1 ton decoration in my drive way.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replacing the fuel pump on a D1 takes about an hour if you take your time and only use basic hand tools. If you have rust, you might have issues with the fuel lines.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at the pics in my old fuel pump thread.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-filled-38182/

Quick Reply: '98 Disco I - Good but economic fuel pump