Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'98 Disco I - Good but economic fuel pump

Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Disco I - Good but economic fuel pump

I'm looking to purchase a fuel pump for my Disco I...though I'm not sure where to start as some of these are really low and some really high. Maybe I'm missing something in that they aren't completely the same part (or only a piece of the whole)?

Any suggestions on good aftermarket or otherwise fuel pumps for my Disco I are greatly appreciated. Are these that I posted below okay to buy or should I stay away from these for certain reasons? I'm told that a premium one will be around $1000.00 by my mechanic but I'm looking to keep costs lower, which these most certainly are..but I don't want to buy them and find out they are not going to work:

1994-1998 Land Rover Discovery Fuel Pump - Replacement REPL314503 - OE replacement

1998 Land Rover Discovery Fuel Pump | Car Stuff

Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm told that a premium one will be around $1000.00 by my mechanic but I'm looking to keep costs lower,

He knoweth not of what he speaketh. I would stay away from both of the pages you linked because there is no 98 with a 3.9 like the data on the second page says. Even though the text describes possibly the correct one saying it has two plugs. It may do fine but I am somewhat leery of lots of the internet vendors that claim to have everything. I prefer to deal with the ones I trust to ensure getting the corrrect part. If their warranty is good and their returns program is good, you may do ok.

The 1998 Discovery is the AEL type fuel pump, the early 97 and earlier 4.0's are pre-AEL and use a cheaper pump assembly. Mine is an early 97.

It really depends upon whether you need just the pump portion or the entire fuel pump assembly. Mine had a severely cracked top, so I had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly (same as pictured on your links). If the top is good and only the pump itself is bad, you could get by with just the pump.

Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - DISCOVERY FUEL TANK PUMP AND SENDER

The above is the complete assembly for the AEL version like you have.

Or for a used one, you could contact Paul Grant or Will Tillery to save some money.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-26-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This one WILL fit, it is the exact one you need, no guess work involved.
Land Rover Discovery Fuel Pump And Sender - Order Land Rover Parts & Accessories From Atlantic British
May I also suggest these parts too.
Land Rover Fuel System Parts | Fuel Pump Locking Ring - Tank - Advanced Evaporative Loss System (AEL)

You can replace the fuel pump yourself.
Open the cargo door, remove the trim piece, roll up the carpet.
Open the access panel, remove the locking ring. Unhook the fuel lines and connectors.
Lift out of gas tank.
Take a half hour.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you want to just replace the pump you can use an Airtex E3270.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And it is around $46 at Rock Auto, a little more in some other places.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Or $42 at Amazon w/free shipping.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone! I actually was contacted by someone on a different forum last night regarding a good condition used Fuel Pump Assembly for my vehicle. It was a deal, so I'm going with it to try to keep costs low.

Thanks again for all of your help and the links.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Make sure you don't try to work on fuel pump with a full tank, need to have some space. There is a fuel filter under the right rear wheel arch, change it also. There is a Schrader valave on the fuel rail on passenger side, borrow a pressure gauge and test - 32-34 psi with pump running.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't buy a used pump, cause that is just what you are getting a used, partially warn out low pressure pump. Buy the AirTex, it is a great pump with slight higher fuel pressure then the original which is great when dealing with warn out injectors.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you get a used pump over a new one for under $50 when you were originally told it would cost $1000....????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 Disco I - Good but economic fuel pump