Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Disco Power Steering Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 98 Disco Power Steering Service

I have identified a moderate leak in one of the power steering hoses, was hoping to do the work myself and save some money. Already purchased a replacement ps hose but now I'm stumped as how to remove the currently installed ps hose. Specifically I need to know what sort of tool would do the job for loosening the nut. Any suggestions or list of tools needed? I'm not exactly sure what the particular ps hose is called (ie: sending or receiveing hose), all I know is that one end connects onto a bracket which in itself is located on the drivers side, right above the front wheel arch, and is relitivily easy to access. The opposite end of the hose is the tricky part as it is connected to a portion of the timming belt mechanism, and is impossible to access with any standard tools...... Unless of course I was to disassemble the entire timming belt mechanism. Please help! I will snap a few shots ASAP and load them up to this post. Please all thoughts and recommendations welcome.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I would start with removing the lower part of the hose which is leaking, the side connected to the steering box. The steering box has two high pressure hoses going into it. just use a crescent wrench or the correct size wrench to remove it from the steering box. Then it will unscrew from the other source which will be higher. The steering pump is probably what it goes into. You can also drain the fluid from the reservoir by sucking it out with a turkey baster or something along that line. Once you remove the lower portion of the hose you can unscrew the top part. Hope that helps

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a pain to get to without removing the pump. The hose I beleive you talking about goes in the bottom of the pump at about the 8 o'clock position. As far as removing the pump remove belt the 3 bolts that hold the pulley on then youll have access to the pump mounting bolts.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Youre right Brian. It is much easier to remove the hose when the pump is off the front of the engine. You have to take off the front cover before you can get to the two bolts that hold the pump to its mounting bracket. Does anyone know what order the spring and valve go into that hole where the high pressure hose screws in. I forgot how to put mine back together :O When you unscrew the high pressure hose there is a spring and like a 2 inch long valve. Is it the spring first then valve? and which way does the valve sit? you can flip it around

Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
I have identified a moderate leak in one of the power steering hoses, was hoping to do the work myself and save some money. Already purchased a replacement ps hose but now I'm stumped as how to remove the currently installed ps hose. Specifically I need to know what sort of tool would do the job for loosening the nut. Any suggestions or list of tools needed? I'm not exactly sure what the particular ps hose is called (ie: sending or receiveing hose), all I know is that one end connects onto a bracket which in itself is located on the drivers side, right above the front wheel arch, and is relitivily easy to access. The opposite end of the hose is the tricky part as it is connected to a portion of the timming belt mechanism, and is impossible to access with any standard tools...... Unless of course I was to disassemble the entire timming belt mechanism. Please help! I will snap a few shots ASAP and load them up to this post. Please all thoughts and recommendations welcome.
Sounds to me like you need to download the Workshop Manual and work from the steps and techniques it clearly lays out. This will help you out tremendously... http://www.landroverresource.com/ You will also find good steps for bleeding the system in there too. All in Section 57 of the Workshop Manual.

For a system as crucial (and expensive) as steering I suggest you become very familiar with that text and / or let someone with experience work on this particular repair... there are plenty of other projects waiting for your attention on your beloved Disco.

***side note**** no timing belts on LR's.... t'is a Chain

***other side note*** A Crescent Wrench?????? C'mon now... keep that thing in the junk drawer.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
***other side note*** A Crescent Wrench?????? C'mon now... keep that thing in the junk drawer.
Where can I get one of these Crescent Wrenches? I have a drawer full of wrenches; combination, open end, box end, ratcheting combination, adjustable, slip joint, locking...but no Crescent.

I even have a magic wrench...

Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a cresent wrench...Im sure you already have one, just call it something else.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Disco Power Steering Service-00001849.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I call it the "Emergency Use ONLY" wrench...

Or sometimes I call it the "nut rounder" but then my wife says, "YOU TALKIN TO ME?" and it just gets confusing....

Old 03-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic88
i call it the "emergency use only" wrench...

Or sometimes i call it the "nut rounder" but then my wife says, "you talkin to me?" and it just gets confusing....
lmao!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling

hahaha your wife... nice. Yeah it tends to round the edges of nuts so just use an exact size wrench instead.