Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98' discovery overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be putting it in on Sat. Ill let everyone know if this fixes the issue.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heads up don't forget the orings on the oil and trans cooler lines.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
4wd Low

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM
4wd High
Thumbs up

I just had an overheating issue that stumped me and my Dad(old school mechanic)for a while. It's an '01 Disco and it is new to me. It has had a lot of work done recently to the cooling system. It was giving us fits and the hoses were getting hard(one of the tell tale signs of combustion gas in the system), We decided to flush the system and whatnot even though it has a new radiator, fan clutch, coolant recovery tank and cap, throttle body, thermostat, and hoses. Once we flushed it(no gunk came out) and refilled the system, taking care to get ALL the air bled out, it was fine. That was two days ago, so I suppose it could still be a lurking issue, but so far so good. I just didn't notice anyone mentioning bleeding the system and thought I'd throw it in there. I never knew it was so important. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 AM
5th Gear

Man I hope u dont have the old liner issue.. Buy a 20$ block tester from napa... check it before u spend anymore on parts. That is if it still does with the new rad.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Donwat1
I will be putting it in on Sat. Ill let everyone know if this fixes the issue.
Is it taking longer than expected?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGreyBuilder
I just had an overheating issue that stumped me and my Dad(old school mechanic)for a while. It's an '01 Disco and it is new to me. It has had a lot of work done recently to the cooling system. It was giving us fits and the hoses were getting hard(one of the tell tale signs of combustion gas in the system), We decided to flush the system and whatnot even though it has a new radiator, fan clutch, coolant recovery tank and cap, throttle body, thermostat, and hoses. Once we flushed it(no gunk came out) and refilled the system, taking care to get ALL the air bled out, it was fine. That was two days ago, so I suppose it could still be a lurking issue, but so far so good. I just didn't notice anyone mentioning bleeding the system and thought I'd throw it in there. I never knew it was so important. Good luck!
X2 on bleeding the air. Ive done a lot of repairs to my own, replaced everything on it at separate times; hoses, thermostat, coolant, flush, tank...not to mention heads and every other little thing that requires loosing coolant and it's always been air in the system when it ran hot immediately afterward (which was every time). Bleed air through upper heater hose with expansion tank full and capped, add coolant constantly through drain??? at top of radiator while just cracking the top of heater hose to allow air out. It's the quickest and easiest for me but, at your own risk. Good luck

Old 06-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the best way you guys have found to bleed air from the system?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I drive mine up a steep incline near my driveway so the radiator is quite a bit higher than the engine, and let it run for a while. I haven't had any problems.. I don't think air entrapment it's a really big deal with these engines like some engines. In some, there is an air-bleed screw ...and process to go through to effectively remove the air from the engine, but not as far as I'm aware of on our L/R's (correct me if I'm wrong).

Use filtered or distilled water ...I'm sure you know that. Keep the minerals out..

Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Here's what's in the D1 manual on filling the system. Reads as the radiator filler plug my be used for a bleeder.

5. Pour correct solution of water and anti-freeze
into expansion tank until radiator is full.
6. Start engine, run it until normal operating
temperature is attained, topping up as
necessary.
7. Refit radiator filler plug and ’O’ ring, with new ’O’
ring if required. Tighten to 6 Nm.
8. Fit expansion tank filler cap.
9. Allow engine to cool, check coolant level. Finally
top up expansion tank until level reaches seam
of expansion tank.