Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco II owner, engine overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco II owner, engine overheating problem

First, let me say that I love this forum board. I am the new owner of a used 2003 Disco II, 80k miles, outside of the dreaded VIN range and without the 3 amigos and thus far, no other major issues until this weekend.

After sitting in a parking lot for several hours, I started it up on a cold night (about 45 degrees F) and cranked up the heat. The heat did not warm up at all. Within 5 minutes of driving, still no heat. Pulled into McDonalds drive thru and sat for about 3 min and watched my gauge slowly climb, and climb and climb...within 2 minutes the red light came on, I pulled out of line opened the hood and let her cool off. Ate my sandwich, went over to Walgreens, got a gallon of Peak 50/50 global life, waited about 20 minutes, let it completely cool, poured it in (it only took about 1/2 gallon), and crossed my fingers started up, and went on my way. Heat began working again, engine remained at normal operating temperature all the way home (about 30 minute drive). Next morning I crawled underneath and looked for leaks.

I found one, (maybe two) as it was pretty steady dripping... Read all the forum posts I could find on similar issues and have learned what it appears NOT to be...

• Throttle Body heater plate seems as though it has been repaired previously.
  • Thermostat seems to be working fine, with no visible leaks.
  • Water pump seems fine with no visible leaking.
So I drove it around again and it started over-heating again. So I ready more forum posts... Bled the coolant line and added more coolant (the other 1/2 gallon) and drove it around again.....this time, no overheating, and heater is working fine. Stopped and observed a steady drip again. Crawled underneath and it seems to be dripping from the lowest point of the transmisison, as I follow it up, I can only see up to where it's damn near touching the firewall. It appears that the leak is coming from an area from the engine close to the firewall, there is a couple of connections there, (don't appear related to the cooling system) that are caked with dirt and grime (obviously a dirt magnet, from a leak).

So, anyway, any idea where the leak is originating from that weak non-mechanic poor description that I just attempted to explain?

Although I am not very mechanically inclined and own very few tools, after reading these forums I feel like I can fix anything, but I'm not feeling confident about the leak enough to start taking things apart to find it. If it's serious I could also use a referral of a good Rover mechanic in the Orlando, Fl area.

Help?

Last edited by substantialiscious; 01-04-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you are looking at a head gasket or valley gasket leak. Out of curiosity was the peak you added universal coolant, just wondering if you mixed it with the dexcool. If it is universal it is fine.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
5th Gear

Not sure what you mean by universal, but it's Peak Global Life (a gold container), with several different countries flags across the label, so I assume it is universal.

And if it is head gasket or valley gasket, it's not something I care to tackle, so Is it safe to drive to mechanic, with that particular coolant?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
TReK

Depends how fast you are leaking coolant. Can you get to a mechanic with the leak the way it is now? These engine's do not take well to being overheated and if your light went on you have in the least cooked your oil so if you do hold off on the repair make sure to change to oil.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very important you do not mix anything else with dexcool. What was the color of the coolant that was previously in there, and what is the color of the stuff you added. If you mix inappropriate types of coolant, you can gum up your whole system.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 AM
TReK

the universal coolants (prestone and peak universal) mix with dexcool as they are pretty much dexcool (contain 2 eha) with carboxylate that allows them to be a top off with any other coolant. You do not want to add a non universal coolant to dexcool.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...niversal_.aspx

Last edited by lipadj46; 01-05-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stop diving it before you toast your engine. I would be glad to help you if you send me your number.
Until you learn how to bleed the system you will continue to over heat the truck, so call me, I'll walk you thru how to bled it so you can drive it to a shop without causing any more damage.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
TReK
Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

He is going to need more then bleeding the system, that is why I suggested we talk cause as already mentioned, he is going to need to do a coolant pressure test, find and fix the problem, as mentioned possible head gaskets.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for all the help, guys. I sent you my number Mike. Made an appointment with mechanic tomorrow for pressure test. Crossing my fingers it's and easy (inexpensive) fix.

Quick Reply: New Disco II owner, engine overheating problem