Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'98 Land rover discovery will not start after driving it

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile '98 Land rover discovery will not start after driving it

Hi, I have a few question if anyone has some help or ideas maybe
Okay, Saturday morning my boyfriend drove our land rover to his moms house to help move, everything was fine while he drove it there and parked it. This was around 9:30am. He left it there almost all day. Everything fine with it. Then he went to move in his moms drive way (FYI: he was previously parked on the side of the curb) started fine and he moved it loaded something's in the back, this is around 8:30pm or so. When he went to leave the car would not start. The engine tries to but it won't turn over. He said the gas was half way full. His moms street is on a slop and her drive way is also a slop, I'm not sure if by parking on the slop and having the gas tank half full would make the car act as if there's no gas. We put to gallons of gas in it to see if that was the problem but it didn't make a difference. You can get the full tank turn on but nothing happens. We called a mechanic he said it could just be the gas and the way it's parked, so we pushed it down the street and still nothing. We called a Mobil mechanic to come out and he said it could be the crank sensor or the camshaft. Could this be it? He didn't help out much because he said he wasn't familiar with land rovers and doesn't know when the crank sensor or camshaft is located.
We just had a tune up done and the mechanic also said the spark plugs have no
spark I don't understand that all the spark plugs are new. If any one has any ideas please help im in a pickle I was trying to sell my land rover to get something better on gas and now it won't start and we have no car we had to barrow a car.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You can narrow it down pretty fast. If you turn on the key, but don't crank it, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds and quit. There is a "tire valve" on the passenger side fuel rail. About 30 PSI of fuel will squirt out (can attach a pressure gauge rented/loaned by parts store). Could be fuel pump, fuse, or relay.

If you turn the key and the engine cranks (turning over) but fails to start, you can check for spark by disconnecting a plug and having BF hold it while cranking. On second thought, let's change that, plug in a spare $1 spark plug, and lay on the metal exhaust manifold. Now crank and look for sparks. No spark is usually the crank position sensor, rear of engine on driver side $70 part. BF can change it, be dang sure all bolts and spacers go back on exactly like they come off.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank sensor.PDF (592.1 KB, 325 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (103.1 KB, 216 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
4wd Low

Savannah buzz, thanks do much for the quick reply. I will have my bf try that out. It will have to be later this week though. Since work and and the car is at his moms. So if that were the problem it would just happen that fast? Even though everything was fine just hours before?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Fuel temp sensor is also a possibility. It is a common culprit with warm re-starts- I changed mine 3 weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Savannah said, check your fuel pressure. If no pressure, check for voltage at the fuel pump.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off you should stop dealing with idiots who call themselves mechanics.
It doesn't matter if it's a Land Rover or Ferrari, or Nissan, or Chevy. It's an internal combustion engine, they all require the same things to run. Either you lack fuel or spark!

If the "mechanic" who said it didn't have spark was correct you likely need the crank sensor, which is available through AutoZone for under $60 and is a Duralast boxed genuine Lucas part like the one from the factory.

If this guy was wrong you may need a fuel pump. See above posts for simple pressure test.

It is also remotely possible the alarm has immobilized the truck for whatever reason.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 AM
4wd Low
Thumbs up Thanks for all you replies!

Okay, yesterday my boyfriend stop by his mom where the land rover was parked at. He was just going to get our gate opener from it, well he got that and decided to see if the car would start. It did! I'm not sure as to why it would not start but I think the alarm must have immobilized like Higgs boson said. If that were the case would that cause the spark plugs to have no spark? And is it common for the alarm to do that? We only have the key, when we bought it the car didnt come with the remote. They told us we could buy one off eBay for cheap but we have to have wirring put in and programmed. We have not done that because we don't know how much it would cost to have the wirring and programming done. We have not had any problems locking and unlocking the truck before with key. One more thing now that it turned on my boyfriend said the truck has a smell of old oil. We had two oil changes last month. We had two done because we took it to a shop and they put to thin of an oil in it do my bf drain it out and replaced it with thicker oil (not sure which brand he used). We only have had this truck for a little over a month. Previous owners said to use premium as is this correct? That what we've been using. Or is regular fine?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Premium. You may be lucky, but if driving and no start returns, please check on the crank position sensor. You can pour water on it to cool it off to restart. Would wait on remote until you know more about it. As for oil smell, that can be a tiny leak from the valve cover gaskets, they can be snugged up with an 8mm 12 point socket. Hopefully BF read this forum and put in 15W40 Shell Rotella oil, cheap and hard to beat.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All of the factory wiring and ecu should be there for the alarm. You would just need to buy a LR key fob for your Disco and have it programmed at the dealership(or good independent shop)