General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Land Rover Discovery wont start after removing the battery breifly

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Land Rover Discovery wont start after removing the battery breifly

Last night after getting back from four wheeling in my rover, I noticed my four way flashers were on...so, as a fix, I decided to mpdisconnect my battery. After reconnecting it, I noticed that the four way flashers had stopped flashing!
Eager to jump in and go trailing again the next day, I went to start it...and NOTHING.
I tried several different procedures INCLUDING locking and unlocking the drivers side door 3 times. None of the door locks work automatically.. ONLY when you manually pick EACH one up. Normally when I push or pull up on the door lock, all of the door locks respond...now, they do ABSOLUTLY nothing.

Please give me a call or reply if you have any clue how to fix this! (631) 965-8776

THANKS GUYS!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Make sure your inertia switch is pushed in. Passenger side of engine compartment on fire wall. Try that and get back.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I'll call you this morning.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Overlanding
Smile Update::

Hey guys I figured I would post an update...My rover is currently RUNNING I self-fixed the problem. Soooo heres the problem and solution I got for yah::

The Problem: The truck was STUCK in immobilization mode, thinking that the alarm was activated, and not listening to the drivers side door lock being "Unlocked and Locked" ... After checking all of the possibilites (fuses with a testlight, inertia switch, and door lock activation) I decided I would try the same thing that I had previously done to "Erase" my Check Engine Light.

The Solution: I took BOTH battery cables off of the terminals and 'HELD' them together with a solid connection for a minimum of 30 full seconds. After releasing them and reconnecting them to the terminals, my truck was "Remobilized" and started right up.

The reason this works: From my unprofessional point of view, I beleive that doing this procedure 'demagnitizes' the system and resets EVERYTHING sso that any type of information that was stored due to the battery power was erased. My engine ran a little funny for the first few hours while the ECU reconfigured itself but HEY!! it runs great now! I feel like ive had this thing apart enough times that I should consider becoming an LR Mechanic :P

By the way Mike, im the 17 year old that you said a few months ago shouldnt own one of these unless I knew them...I think that you were right...I now realize so much more what I was getting into then i did back then. But hey, it was a learning experience and now I can diagnose most of my problems.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brian891
Hey guys I figured I would post an update...My rover is currently RUNNING I self-fixed the problem. Soooo heres the problem and solution I got for yah::

The Solution: I took BOTH battery cables off of the terminals and 'HELD' them together with a solid connection for a minimum of 30 full seconds. After releasing them and reconnecting them to the terminals, my truck was "Remobilized" and started right up.

The reason this works: From my unprofessional point of view, I beleive that doing this procedure 'demagnitizes' the system and resets EVERYTHING sso that any type of information that was stored due to the battery power was erased. My engine ran a little funny for the first few hours while the ECU reconfigured itself but HEY!! it runs great now! I feel like ive had this thing apart enough times that I should consider becoming an LR Mechanic :P

By the way Mike, im the 17 year old that you said a few months ago shouldnt own one of these unless I knew them...I think that you were right...I now realize so much more what I was getting into then i did back then. But hey, it was a learning experience and now I can diagnose most of my problems.

Sounds like "Harry Potter Junior" here has explained the theory of electomotive force - magnetism- possibly even the theory of relativity.

We should all be grateful there is no shortage of brillant 17 year olds to help[ all of us old guys to have a better understanding of the majic behind all of this new fangled inventions. Could you program my new phone for me while you're here?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Overlanding
Cool hmm oh yea?

What type of phone? .....