Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 le - to buy or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014 | 06:13 AM
Baja

When you crawl under to finish the oil clear the hvac drains, guaranteed they are clogged, there is one on each side of the bell house coming out of the trans tunnel, the center nipple pulls out, with these clogged water goes into your floor

Old 08-12-2014 | 08:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ihscouts
This sums up Paul's post. I haven't used this site (I used Meritor/WABCO's) but it should do the trick and works on 96 - 99 1/2 DI's.

http://www.horodecki.pl/rajdy4x4/ABS...ng%20light.pdf

WABCO stands for Westinghouse Air Brake Co......

When I self diagnosed my ABS light it turned out I had a unrecoverable ECU failure and of course Paul had an ABS ECU available which I bought and until recently used without any failures. I went with a better performance set up recently that allows me to custom tune my brakes for on road/off road tooling and will soon be configuring a GM booster that works a crap ton better for applying more pressure to the pucks.
I would be interested in this. My brake pressure sucks. All I can do to hold it on a steep hill. I'll upgrade the lines to stainless but I think a different booster/master and an adjustable prop. valve would be a huge improvement.

Old 08-12-2014 | 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm working on it. EBC pads and rotors offer a decent alternative to custom fab work which I'll be doing here in the next few weeks. Yes, holding a Disco on a hill will make your knees rattle just before they fail.....the knees, not the brakes.

Old 08-13-2014 | 04:33 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Drove to town - transmission OK so far

Originally Posted by TOM R
When you crawl under to finish the oil clear the hvac drains, guaranteed they are clogged, there is one on each side of the bell house coming out of the trans tunnel, the center nipple pulls out, with these clogged water goes into your floor
I looked for the drains when I put the oil drain plug back in but didn't see them; perhaps I didn't look up far enough, but then the British automatic undercarriage lube has worked so well on this disco that everything under there is pretty black.

I added one quart of ATF to the full mark (good thing I read the owners manual and did it cold) and drove it 6 miles to town for fresh 91 ron gas and 6 miles back with no transmission problems, although it did have that wonderful aroma of hot oil I know so well from my jags. The MIL lit on the way to town and checking at home codes P1314 and P0152 were set. 0152 says "oxygen sensor circuit high voltage bank 2 sensor 1" and the #1 fix for 1314 was "replaced crank shaft position sensor".

I erased the codes and then checked the engine data at idle and both O2 sensors 11 and 21 were 1.020 volts (sensors 12 and 22 were 0.055 and 0.060) I assumed that sensor 21 on the reader was "bank 2 sensor 1" in the code. Guess I need to drive it with the data running to see what that O2 sensor does real time. Other data was; RPM 700, temp 185, ign advance 28.5, all at idle.

Two things I noted on this first drive were that the steering had a lot of play, maybe 20 to 30 degrees of steering wheel movement, and it took gas veerry slowly. Is the slow fill normal? And I hope there is an adjustment on the steering box to take up some slack - got to read the manual some more.

What size are the lug nuts on this beast? Aand are the bare rusty nuts just ones that have lost their decorative covers? And were the spare tire lug nuts different from the wheel nuts? (there is a warning on the mounting bracket not to use the spare nuts on the wheels). A 26mm socket works on the bare nuts and a 27mm 12 pt box wrench barely fits the covered nuts. 27mm is pretty close to 1 1/16", but my 1 1/16" wrench only fits a couple of the nuts. Who ever owned or serviced this disco never heard of anti-sieze; those suckers are stuck tight.

Good news is that I called Land Rover in Little Rock they looked up the radio code; He was sure things would have been changed around and it would not work on a disco this old, but it did and the radio sounds really good. The CD changer tried to load a disk a couple of times and returned an error, but that will be for investigation at later time; *****, James, Jimmy, and Randy will just have to stay home for awhile.