Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

99 SD Ticking when warm, project vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99 SD Ticking when warm, project vehicle?

Hey guys,

Id just like a consensus on a few things. I value the opinion of Discovery owners. First a little background, I am mechanically inclined but electrical is my strong suit. I picked up no start condition 99 sight unseen for 600. Clean title, 136k. Thats all the information I had initially.

Fast forward a week, and I have it started everytime. Throwing codes for downstream 02. Obviously leaks oil, and I noticed the drive front axle is leaking as well. None of these issues, along with the other electrical related issues really bother me so much.

What does catch my attention is the ticking when warm, it is loud. It does sound like the "slipped liner" condition. Now, while Im not planning on making this vehicle my daily, I am having my first child in October and picture it as more of a camping rig or emergency vehicle in a pinch when we get big storms here.

What this also means is that I do not have any intentions on pulling the block and spending money that I do not have. I have heard that many people have gone tens of thousands of miles hearing this, is the a old wives tail? Or should I just change the thermo and run the 15-40 rotello I keep reading about. Perhaps this is only a matter or time before it grenades and I should just jump out before I get too deep?

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-16-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

well here's my 2cents....yes on the 15w-40 and thermostat..you certainly arent hurting anything with that...
next...a lot of things can create the "ticking" ....a loose insert in a valve rocker arm is real common on these engines.....when you get some time , remove both valve covers and start it up and let the engine warm up till you hear the ticking....if it's a valve rocker or a lifter that's stuck you'll be able to pinpoint it easier

The following 2 users liked this post by XCELLER8:
mr4x4 (08-16-2016), rdwpdx (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

X2 on what Xceller8 said. Honestly Rover engines suffer from oil change neglect more than anything else. That leads to the valve train oiling becoming occluded. Very easy to remove the entire rocker assembly, clean, inspect and repair. Costs nothing but time usually. If it's running hot the number one item to replace is the fan clutch not the thermostat believe it or not. When the clutch fails they either don't engage or lock-up. The clutches that don't engage most don't know it since it makes no noise. To test rotate when cold, should rotate but resist a full revolution, when hot (engine off) it would rotate freely if bad.

As far as the downstream O2's they're not effecting the engine operation but merely checking cat efficiency so they can be left alone for awhile. About $50 bucks a sensor on Amazon.

A couple of common parts vendors are Lucky8 in my sig and Rovahfarm.com. Check out the "Tech" section, it's a good read, covers allot of common issue territory in short order.

I'll bet you end up driving it more than just occasionally...... they're hard to leave alone. I've driven mine for eight years daily and it was bought about the same way as yours, rough.

The following 2 users liked this post by ihscouts:
mr4x4 (08-16-2016), rdwpdx (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response guys, it is tough to decide whether to be in for the long haul or not. I have patience but just cant afford a money pit. That being said I could have gotten out of it last night but decided to hang on to it and really start delving into the troubleshooting. Having such a valuable resource as this site and specifically the tech section are huge reasons for me keeping it.

I really appreciate the feedback and hopefully am looking forward towards years of ownership myself.

mr4x4 (08-16-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdwpdx
Thanks for the response guys, it is tough to decide whether to be in for the long haul or not. I have patience but just cant afford a money pit. That being said I could have gotten out of it last night but decided to hang on to it and really start delving into the troubleshooting. Having such a valuable resource as this site and specifically the tech section are huge reasons for me keeping it.

I really appreciate the feedback and hopefully am looking forward towards years of ownership myself.
BWHAHAHAHAA ! you'll be addicted soon .....just like the rest of us ...lol

mr4x4 (08-16-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Um with a Rover it's the other way around, the Rover owns you........ the fact that your confident in electrical will be your saving grace.....in three short years it will be twenty years young. Mechanically they're fairly stout and literally straight forward.

mr4x4 (08-02-2016)